Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One problem I have had as of late is spot algae on the leaves of my Anubias under high light. Sometimes, in aquascapes, I have to place slow growing Anubias in areas which receive a great deal of light. Are there any strategies on trying to keep these leaves algae free? Do more mature tanks tend to have this problem less than newer ones?

Thanks!

Carlos

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to scrub off the algae with a soft tooth brush on the Anubias leaves and increase my PO4 dosing. I'll also keep my trace/iron dosing relatively high. Let's see what happens!

I am also using Bolbitis heudelotii. It, too, develops spot algae but fortunately only on the older leaves.

The tank is relatively shallow (20g long) so good light coverage is always an issue. I don't have 3.95 wpg of power compacts though. 40 watts of my lighting is coming from a pair of plain old normal flourescents.

Some tanks I envy for not having this problem:

With 5.87 wpg :!:

With 4 wpg

I know it can be done. I have seen others do it before, so I will give it a try. :)

Carlos[/img]

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It worked perfectly! My Anubias did not develop spot algae on its leaves anymore. In fact, spot algae covered leaves also eventually lost the algae coating completely.

My Anubias barteri var. nanas then began to flower almost continuously. All of my Anubias (eight) flowered at least twice one month.

Carlos

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.