Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been itching to get my grubby mitts on some nice, fine red flint gravel. By some, I mean I want to import a whole, literal, 2000lb ton palette of it from Wisconsin. Bulk price w00t. Of course, I can't afford to actually buy the whole ton by myself, so I was wondering if anyone who may be looking for some nice, dark gravel for planted tanks would be interesting in chipping in for a bag or two.

Anyway, I got a quote from the RF quarry, looks like I can get 40 bags (50lb. each) shipped here for $15/bag.

At a rate of $0.30 per pound, that's a heck of a lot better than any aquarium-packaged substrate you'll get at a pet store. And this stuff makes a great cap for walstad/MTS planted tanks, as well as being a size that promotes root development. Anyway, if you want to red more 'bout their rocks, here's their site: http://www.redflint.com/filter_gravel.htm

Anyway, before I commit to ordering it, I'd like to gauge interest in how many people would want some and how much of it they may want.

So, whaddaya say? Everyone wanna buy pretty gravel, right?? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I guess it's purely a personal preference, but I prefer dark substrates because it makes the green plants look so nice in contrast. I've been using black eco-complete in my tanks and it seems to really promote root growth, but of course it's expensive. I thought about trying ADA Aquasoil if my wife ever lets me get a third tank. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts