Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there are other people out there like myself who don't want to buy a scale, 10lbs or each fertilizer and such.

I wonder if we can get a few people who might be interested in doing a coop to buy all the ingredients and if one of use has a scale, they could receive all the ingredients and pre measure them in to little zip lock baggies to meet with the requirements of the recipes. I would think whoever does the measuring might get his share for FREE...

Or is there someone already doing this, where we can purchase some pre-mix/measured batches?

g

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think that you will find that it is easier for one person to order their own. Most online vendors sell the micro and macro ingrediants for $30 or less(shipping included). You will find that amount of fertilizer should last you a year or so. It would probably be more expensive to have several people order a pound of each, have it shipped, ship it to someone else to weigh, measure, and then have that person ship it to everyone else.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm more worried about the weighing and getting the qty's correct and such. I was thinking the bulk product could be shipped directly to whoever was doing the weighting and each person would pay for their shipping to their house. Since I consider my self not as chemical wise as some of the others, I was hoping to stay as close to the original specs as possible. I've made many mistakes of the past 15 years and produced some pretty incredible Aglae experiements!!!

Are there vendors who sell it premixed/measured?

g

·
Registered
133 Posts
What if you buy it premixed and find out you have 10ppm po4 in your tap water. Now since its premixed you cant just add less po4.

Or what if you have too much fish and you have enough nitrate/ammonia to never need any nitrate whatsoever. Again you are stuck with your premix and cant change anything.

One of the major advantages of buying dry ferts is that you have control of how much nutrients you are adding, and can change your recipe to fit your particular need.
If you really want to buy premixed fertilizers you could use one of the liquid ones but they cost more, but if it was me id buy a 10$ scale from ebay. Just make sure it does tenths or hundreths of a gram.
http://shop.ebay.com/items/__digita...cZ1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQ_sopZ15QQ_scZ1

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess when you put it that way, everyone's situation is unique.

Also, I wasn't aware you could get the scales so cheap on ebay.

Well, I was going to try to make this easier for me and others.

Guess it is the hard way!!

Thanks guys!!

g

·
Registered
765 Posts
You'll need more posts, but you may have luck offering plants in trade in the appropriate forum. I'm sure there's lots of beginners who have ferts and a scale but not many plants yet, and lots of other folks with plants and say the flourish line but no dry ferts yet. You guys should trade :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've thought about mixing solutions and offering them to folks on forums like this...for example, it could be useful for someone who just set up a tank and hasn't got all the ferts/scale yet. I could mix up a couple 500ml bottles of CSM+b and Macros and send them out to get someone started.

But then I'd have to buy a bunch of bottles, figure out shipping, packing etc...and then work out payment. Seems to be a lot of trouble for both parties really.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've thought about mixing solutions and offering them to folks on forums like this...for example, it could be useful for someone who just set up a tank and hasn't got all the ferts/scale yet. I could mix up a couple 500ml bottles of CSM+b and Macros and send them out to get someone started.

But then I'd have to buy a bunch of bottles, figure out shipping, packing etc...and then work out payment. Seems to be a lot of trouble for both parties really.
Nah, if you have the stuff at home, put out an ad. You can use an old soda bottles or something for starters. You can use fixed rate boxes or envelopes, covering a wide area.
If you sell a few, you just keep some flat rate packaging at home, and dop it of at the post office on your way to/from work.

If it should grow, you will then be able to afford buying special bottles etc. If not, it will probarbly pay for a lifetime of fertilizers. It's realy cheap when you buy in 50 lbs bags.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I can tell you I've tried to order ferts from one of the 2 websites advertised on here and I have yet to get a response. Maybe it could be the holidays though.

g

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm wondering if there are other people out there like myself who don't want to buy a scale, 10lbs or each fertilizer and such.

I wonder if we can get a few people who might be interested in doing a coop to buy all the ingredients and if one of use has a scale, they could receive all the ingredients and pre measure them in to little zip lock baggies to meet with the requirements of the recipes. I would think whoever does the measuring might get his share for FREE...

Or is there someone already doing this, where we can purchase some pre-mix/measured batches?

g
You dont need a scale to measure ferts with, a table and teaspoon will work just as well.

Regards, Orlando

1 - 11 of 11 Posts