Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have decided to give up on trying to grow Ludwigias. For whatever reason, I can't seem to keep these alive. :( I have tried L. repens, L. arcuata, L. repens cross, L. ovalis, and have had the same lack of success with all of them. I know for the most part they are considered easy plants, but... They will grow for a while, then develop a necrotic area (turns black and melts), and it goes down the toilet after that. To my knowledge all my params are OK, and I don't see this with any other plant I have tried. Perhaps my hard water in combination with the other params is the culprit.

Out of curiosity, anyone out there have similar experiences? Which plants made you pull your hair out, and what do you attribute it to?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bill,

I also experienced the bottom leaf drop, when the necrosis didn't get to it first, lol. My Blyxa flowers without reaching the surface as well. The Hottonia is growing a lot faster, since I moved it to a more centralized area, ie, directly under the main light bank.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Blyxa aubertii happily growing in 2 of my tanks. 2.5 W/gal; kh 9-10; gh 12; NO3 ~10; PO4 ~2.5; CO2 injected ~30ppm; dosed with micros and iron. HTH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts