Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an option for sizing the posts so that one doesn't have to slide the cursor back and forth while trying to read the posts?
It would be nice to be able to just read them at a normal size.
If it can be changed, please advise.

Len

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I think it has something to do with your browser settings.

I don't have to scroll side to side unless someone posts a monster photo.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If it happens only on some of the forums it has to do with the pixels in the photos. Large photos push the frame out to the right. I normally resize my photos to 6.5 inches wide and 72 dpi, and then compress them to about 20K. This way the photos fit on the screen and I don't use up a lot of memory on the server so I can post more photos.

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's the coding of phpBB2's pages. There's a mod out there to fix this. It's a really short mod... basically changing a few lines of code on the templates. Over-sized images will be resized by the browser to fit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's over sized on every post in this thread and there are no pictures included here.
It's over sized on all the threads I've read on this forum. None of the other forums(AC,Plantgeeks, etc.) come down large like this one unless, as previously stated, someone posts a large picture.
That's why I thought perhaps I needed to make a change of some sort in my preferences for APC.
So how do I get the width problem straightened out?

Len

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Len,

You have me stumped. The software we use, phpBB2, sets its tables to 100% of your browser screen automatically. That is, unless there is an image that is too large.

Please check your display settings. What browser are you using?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to give you an idea of how much I'm seeing, I read your last post and got to 'your' before I had to move the screen to read, 'browser screen'.
I use IE6.0. I'm no computer geek, but I would think that if my settings were amiss, I'd have the same issues with other forums. I read about 5 or 6 other aquarium forums and other forums without this occurring, other than, as previously stated, when someone posts a large picture in their post.
I hope we can resolve this because this is one of the best forums I've come across, and it's annoying to have to move the cursor to read each post.
I have a pop up blocker and will disable it to see if it makes any difference, but as I said, it hasn't affected other forums.
EDIT: I disabled the blocker with no change.

Len

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do I determine that? Or where do I look to find out?

Len

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Right click an open area on the desktop, select Properties

Click on the Settings tab

Look for the Screen Resolution setting.

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
We've had a couple say the same thing over at Aqua Den, which is also a phpBB2, but 99% of the people don't have the problem (unless there's a huge photo...). I can't remember for sure, but I thought it was determined that it was something within the browser settings. Maybe someone can take it from there? :?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Gnatster
My resolution is 800X600 pixels.

Len

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Ah, I see. Our logo plus the ad banner is wider than 800 pix and is causing the spill over for you. If you can, use a higher resolution.

I will look to see if there is a way to lower the width of our header.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would appreciate any help you can give me on this.
It's hard to understand why more people are not having this issue.
Maybe they are, but are not complaining about it.
From what you're saying, the add banner at the top of the
page is causing the same result as an over sized picture, correct?

Len

·
Registered
189 Posts
800 x 600 is a really low resolution. Try and increase it a couple of settings. 1024x768. Should be the nect size up. Everything will be smaller for you but you will see more, hence less scrolling.

I'm using 1600 x 1200 settings to give you an idea of size differences.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Is there something limiting you to 800x600 resolution? I had a laptop limited to that. But everything else I had (Multiple PC's on 17in monitors or bigger) was running a higher resolution.

If there is nothing limiting you to that size, try bumping it up a notch or two. Text WILL be smaller on your screen, but it may still be workable. You can also change the text size in your browser.

--Mike

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could do that, but why should it be necessary. This is the only forum I visit and participate, in that is sized the way it is, at least on my screen.

Len

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Being an ex-helpdesk denizen I have found that 99% of non techies use the standard 800 x 600 that their computers come set at and have no idea of the wonderful benefits of using greater resolution. When non-geeks would come by my desk they always wondered how in the heck I manged to have so many open usable windows. Funny I read an article in the NY Times today about the lack of printed manuals these days and how many people have no idea of the "features" available to them.

gnatster

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
gnatster said:
Being an ex-helpdesk denizen I have found that 99% of non techies use the standard 800 x 600 that their computers come set at and have no idea of the wonderful benefits of using greater resolution. When non-geeks would come by my desk they always wondered how in the heck I manged to have so many open usable windows.
You've got it exactly right. With work I'm constantly working between 3 or 4 windows consistently. I also like not having to scroll around a lot for the big pictures that sometimes get posted :)

But I also recognize that some people leave it at 800x600 because of font size or some similar reason while forgetting that the computer only does what it is told. If you don't tell it to increase the size of the text at higher resolutions, it won't.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts