Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Word on both of those comments.

I'm constantly going over to the parents house and sitting down to a computer that is somehow using only 256 colors at the default 800x600 resolution.

And of course neither of my parents know how it got this way...

I have two 21 inch monitors side by side at work. (i'm a graphic artist for the online gaming industry) and they think by having this dual setup, both running 1200x1600 resolution that it will increase development.

I ain't complaining....

· Registered
3,252 Posts
I reset my display to resolution 1024x768 to account for the same problem. I had the same prob as you djen. I used to have a hight one 800x600 and it worked fine, suddenly it all changed. The screen, all of them, here and at other forums would always shrink and adjust to fit my computer, now, maybe for hte past month, APC is not doing that. I do not know why. It is not a problem. THe only issue I have is that other places I go, like AB, in this screen setting, the words are almost to small to read and I have to change it for htem. I do not know, I have just figured out how to deal.

Interestingly, my girlfriens computer still accepts it the old way with no screen adjustments. I have IE 6 she has an older version. Makes no sense to me. I am certainly not a computer person:)

· Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Looks like I opened a can of worms here.
I have gone to a higher resolution and it will take some getting used to, to be comfortable with it, but now I can read the entire page without messing with moving the it back and forth. Everything looks so little :D.
Thank you for the feedback Dennis. I was beginning to think I was the only one in America with this issue.
Sorry to cause all the problems.

Len

· Registered
33 Posts
djlen said:
Just to give you an idea of how much I'm seeing, I read your last post and got to 'your' before I had to move the screen to read, 'browser screen'. I'm no computer geek, but I would think that if my settings were amiss, I'd have the same issues with other forums. I read about 5 or 6 other aquarium forums and other forums without this occurring,
I hope we can resolve this because this is one of the best forums I've come across, and it's annoying to have to move the cursor to read each post.

Len
Sadly, other than enjoying it as a fancy typewriter, I don't know much about the computer.

Anyway, I have the same identical problem. I too, can only get as far as the word, "your' before having to scroll over.
As much as I relish this forum, it is the only place I experience the text not fitting across my screen.

I would love to hear if there is has been any new breakthrough. Until then, I guess I will see if I can just get used to the higher resolution.

Thank you.

· Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I will be working on our header shortly. It is the reason some of you need to scroll right to see the whole screen.

I will attempt to reduce its size in order to accomodate those having a problem.

Thanks for your patience.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
What about reducing the width of the left side of the posts, where the names and avatars are. If that was narrower then that would make more space for the post itsself. Just a thought:) And Art, we know you are very busy and we really appreaciate what you have done to make APC. Thank you.

· Administrator
7,763 Posts
Any news about fixing this problem? I have the same problem as djlen. It makes reading the site very difficult.

I am not willing to go to a higher resolution in part because I have a problem with dry eyes and don't need any additional source of strain. This is the only site I have this problem with. It's a great site, so I would love to see it resolved.

· Registered
134 Posts
For those curious exactly what percentage of people view sites at what resolution, The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has a page with up to the month statistics on the browsers and other settings people are using when viewing the web.

Quickie summary for those who don't care to click, 1024x768 and 800x600 are still by far the most popular resolutions with 1024x768 growing larger.

· Registered
215 Posts
Art_Giacosa said:
I will look to see if there is a way to lower the width of our header.
Giancarlo Podio has a phpBB which resizes better to smaller widths. His narrower logo and compressable header seems to slide over well as I narrow my window. Your banner ad and the "vote for us button" slide some but create a fixed minimum width that is wider than most website windows.

Perhaps you could condense the highheader.jpeg image a bit and tuck your "aquarank" button under the banner ad, next to the member list button and sharing the same far right edge limit as the banner ad.
___
Jeff

· Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I believe you should no longer have to scroll right when using 800x600 resolution in the post view. You will have a few pixels to the right in the index page and a few more in the portal page.

Please let me know if that corrects the problem.

Thanks fo ryour patience.

· Registered
33 Posts
Art_Giacosa said:
I believe you should no longer have to scroll right when using 800x600 resolution in the post view.
Please let me know if that corrects the problem.
\:D/ Absolutely, positively beeeyoooteeefullll! I love it!!
Thank you!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.