1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myriophyllum elatinoides
Myriophyllum scabratum
Bacopa caroliniana 'small leaf'

I think the M. scabratum will get a little too big (width-wise) for my taste but I have been tempted to try M. elatinoides. However, I had no luck growing M. matogrossense; if M. elatinoides is more difficult to grow than matogrossense, I'm probably going to forget about it.

The B. caroliniana 'small leaf' originally looked a lot like B. monnieri when the store got it in, but I suspect it must have been emersed growth because the new growth looks different - the internodes got shorter and the leaves now look more round and less teardrop-shaped. Makes me think of what Micranthemum umbrosum would look like on steroids. But I don't know. I'd like to hear about other people's experiences with this plant before I buy it.

Would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

-Naomi

·
Registered
852 Posts
Naomi,

Myriophyllum eltinoides is actually the name given erroneously to the male plants of M. aquaticum (parrot's feather). I assume its requirements correspond to those of that plant.

M. scabratum is actually the same plant as M. pinnatum (aka M. hippuroides). The fish stores by my house usually carry this plant and it's pretty demanding to keep up. It seems like it will grow well for a while and then deteriorate entirely. I'm probably keeping it too warm.

The only plant I've ever seen that looked like Micranthemum on steroids was Bacopa madagascariensis. I found this plant at an LFS and haven't been able to find it again. I kick myself for pitching it! Anyway, it grew well (albeit slowly) for me in all kinds of light. Could yours be B. rotundifolia?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Error. Wow - you're totally cerebral! Thank you for all of the info. I'll have to look up info on the M. aquaticum, then.

The Bacopa caroliniana 'small leaf' was probably acquired from Oriental Aquarium. Maybe somebody here has their Handbook of Plants and can determine if it's the same as the one you're talking about. I've found Bacopa spp. to be very easy-to-keep; HOWEVER, I did have one bad experience when I bought Bacopa myriophylloides. I didn't realize that it was in the emersed form and when I tried to grow it in my tank, it just disintegrated after a few weeks.

I'm picking up a used 4-gallon 'long', today. I may also purchase some of the B. caroliniana 'small-leaf' to try. Thanks a lot for your help!

-Naomi

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.