Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Well, Ive had this plant in my tank for quite some time and its growing and doing fine. You will find that most mosses will live and grow underwater as they have evolved to living submerged at least seasonally in their natural habitat. If you provide enough light & additional co2 in your tank, this helps.

· Registered
926 Posts
^post - they're listing another, weeping species too.

Well, Ive had this plant in my tank for quite some time and its growing and doing fine. You will find that most mosses will live and grow underwater as they have evolved to living submerged at least seasonally in their natural habitat. If you provide enough light & additional co2 in your tank, this helps.
Varig8 - have you ever thought about offering any for sale here (or via your store)?

· Banned
4,002 Posts
Thats a vague generalization at best. There are many terrestrial moss species, more terrestrial than aquatic. This thread is over a year old, and to this day there are still many people that contend this moss specie in question is not an aquatic, and there are threads much older than this one with people complaining it simply dies in the aquarium. There are simular discussions, comments on plantedtank.net, aquaria central, aquahobby.com and aquariumadvice.com The general consensus doesn't seem to support you.

· Registered
100 Posts
yes, not all mosses can survive under water.

actually very few can. But then, we rarely deal in terrestrial mosses... :)

Some may survive a short period, some longer, and some may live forever under water... some just try to reach the surface, and grow accordingly.

in this hobby, with all the new mosses flooding the market, it's all buy & try

· Registered
81 Posts
Well, What can I say? I can only report on my experiences with the different plants I have tried. This plant is still growing and doing quite well. It has attached itself to a piece of driftwood and has spread quite nicely for me. It has been close to a year since it was introduced into this tank. As far as being "vague', you can keep your negative posts and attitude concerning my posts to yourself-you seem to have a problem with whatever I seem to say here & you had your posts removed once before for un-necessary rants, so give it a rest and try to understand that other people just might know something more than you do. People who go around blowing their own horn all the time are usually just trying to convince themselves they have something to blow it about and are insecure about what they think they know. We all know the old adage about the "Big fish in the little pond"......Having a different result with the 'general consensus' doesnt concern me much, as I dont believe it should concern hobbyists who give these oddball or rare plants a try also. Obviously different water quality conditions, amount of light provided,etc., will be different from hobbyist to hobbyist. This will indeed result sometimes in quite different outcomes for each hobbyist. I say, if you like it, give it a try! How boring it would be for us all if aquarium enthusiasts would just give up on growing new plants because we just listen to negative nay sayers and not even try!

· Registered
100 Posts
Not being interested in the internal fight between the 2 of you, I'd like to ask...

Could you please provide photos of the moss.

What I'd like to see is a series of photos from the past year as it has evolved. That'd be really nice! and would people some hard evidence!

· Registered
81 Posts
I believe it is really a Bryophyte and not a moss. I have a few photos of it when it first arrived in my tank and I could take one of it as it is now, but Im sorry, I never bothered to take any as it was growing over time!

· Registered
81 Posts
PS Sorry about the little bit about the BIG FISH, its just irritating to write about my experiences with these plants and then have to read negative "put downs" from someone who has an axe to grind.....my apologies to all!

· Registered
926 Posts
Please do post at least a current pic.

· Registered
816 Posts
Interesting I should notice this thread. I was collecting moss while we had a warm break in the winterish weather. I found something just like this. I took a couple samples. Its not underwater, its on the top of my betta tank. Which is sort of like a palaudrium, but not.

I thought it was different.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.