Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like al you in the southeast are lucky. I was wondering....are there any aquatics that occur in CA(Central Valley). I've seen hornowrt and some kind of Najas, but thats about it.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
California is Tom Barr's old hunting ground, and he made several posts on the Aquatic Plant Digest about various collecting trips he made. I can't remember the details, and it would take a long time to search through about three years of his posts, but I remember him mentioning some kind of Echinodorus and several other plants, such as Ludwigia, Crassula, Nitella and hair grass.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Does anyone know where we can start looking for these posts or reports Tom made? I'd like to do a research and maybe help you guys out by posting one final report.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I hope you guys can dig it up. As a matter a fact, I think I have seen some kind of hairgrass growing in the same lake as the Najas(forgot the name). It was clinging to the rocks, and to my best recollections, used runners to spread. It was a little to numerous and looked toounimpressive for me to try to take home though.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I found an APD post from Tom, April 26, 1998 where he says he found cabomba aquatica and a plant that looks like Ludwigia arcuata, except that it is green submersed.

There are more posts from Tom's California collecting trips, and I think they all come after this one. I can't spend any more time hunting. There are more than 50,000 pages of APD to search, and I have work that I can't avoid any more.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've taken a look, and so far its kinda surprising that some of the plants we label as SA actually occur here.

One that jumped out was Eleocharis acicularis. The photos made it look like a reed type plant though.

The common names are pretty cruddy things. They refer to Echinodorus as"Burrheads" E. tenellus as mudbabies!

Go figure!

·
Registered
302 Posts
that's very interesting, but a better way would be to find any local rivers or parks or creeks or anything like that that actually has these plants...it's nice to know that we have hairgrass for example, but where do we go to get it?

·
Registered
542 Posts
The USDA site does give counties in CA where the plants are found. I just looked up Echinodorus berteroi as a scientific name and when I clicked on CA in the map it showed what counties you can find it in.
One of the joys of collecting is discovering the plants yourself. I would find a county that looks good, and then look for typical ditches, marshes where you might find such plants. Your persistence will pay off.

Yesterday, after a year I finally found some berteroi in a ditch here in Corpus Christi. The problem here is finding a ditch that actually has water in it for long periods of time.

Steve Pituch

·
Registered
302 Posts
I happen to live in Alameda County, but am also close to Santa Clara County. I guess i got frustrated after only one incident and i should try harder...i went a niles creek in Fremont and found some plants, but nothing that would look good in a aquarium tank....

perhaps someone in the Bay Area could help me out here, if they've found plants locally, that is....

yes, on the site, i noticed that the "green" areas mean that it exists in that county, but counties are so big lol that it's hard to pinpoint exactly where the plant is in the county...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll have to check around. A ditch near me currently is growing some Marsilea and other things. Most of the times I've tried to pull them up...the leaves simply break off.

·
Registered
302 Posts
nonamethefish said:
I'll have to check around. A ditch near me currently is growing some Marsilea and other things. Most of the times I've tried to pull them up...the leaves simply break off.
noname, are you near me??? if so, that would be exciting news...my marsilea is growing a leaf a week man....ugh....so slow.!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quite close. However, the Marsilea is still quite sparse.

I remember one lake I went to had loads of it. It grew like groudcover in water 3-12 inches deep. Not to send you on a wild goose chase, but the name could have been Lost Lake, or something else. Quite close to Fresno CA.

·
Registered
302 Posts
noname..lol Fres-ho is real real far away from me dude..hehe...i would have to make a road trip to get there. well, I will be passing by there in the summertime anyways, could you direct me to a definite place where I can stop and pick up some nice aquatic plants? I'd much appreciate it, homes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So.Ca. waterplants

I didn't notice any mention of Frank Bonelli(Borelli?) Park Lake, its also the home of Raging Waters(?) anyway its out Monrovia-Upland area. Its the home of thousands of Echinodorus Bertoi-Cellophane sword plus many others and interesting freswater sculpin types. For some reason E. bertoi is hard to cultivate for more that one season. Big livebearing snails too.It's best around May or so.

·
Registered
302 Posts
hi oh yea,are you talking about the raging waters by lawrence expressway in San Jose South Bay?

Mr. Spituch, thank you for the link. its' just what the doctor ordered. I found out that there's quite a few plants growing in the Stanford area. I'm particularly looking for eleocharis and marsilea locally, I will continue my search. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ca plants

Sorry, I was talking about the L.A. area which is a lot of area. If you are down that way the Bonelli(?) park which is where Raging waters is it has a lake with the aforementioned plants and fish.Like I said its worth a visit for Cellophane swords big live bearing snails that reproduced in my makeshift ponds but the swords were quite a challange. Dwarf hairgrass etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts