Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like al you in the southeast are lucky. I was wondering....are there any aquatics that occur in CA(Central Valley). I've seen hornowrt and some kind of Najas, but thats about it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I hope you guys can dig it up. As a matter a fact, I think I have seen some kind of hairgrass growing in the same lake as the Najas(forgot the name). It was clinging to the rocks, and to my best recollections, used runners to spread. It was a little to numerous and looked toounimpressive for me to try to take home though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've taken a look, and so far its kinda surprising that some of the plants we label as SA actually occur here.

One that jumped out was Eleocharis acicularis. The photos made it look like a reed type plant though.

The common names are pretty cruddy things. They refer to Echinodorus as"Burrheads" E. tenellus as mudbabies!

Go figure!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll have to check around. A ditch near me currently is growing some Marsilea and other things. Most of the times I've tried to pull them up...the leaves simply break off.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quite close. However, the Marsilea is still quite sparse.

I remember one lake I went to had loads of it. It grew like groudcover in water 3-12 inches deep. Not to send you on a wild goose chase, but the name could have been Lost Lake, or something else. Quite close to Fresno CA.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sounds like a pretty good theory. I suppose you would have to harvest the seeds, and then wet them suddenly? Do they overwinter(and perhaps require stratification)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts