Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
that's very interesting, but a better way would be to find any local rivers or parks or creeks or anything like that that actually has these plants...it's nice to know that we have hairgrass for example, but where do we go to get it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I happen to live in Alameda County, but am also close to Santa Clara County. I guess i got frustrated after only one incident and i should try harder...i went a niles creek in Fremont and found some plants, but nothing that would look good in a aquarium tank....

perhaps someone in the Bay Area could help me out here, if they've found plants locally, that is....

yes, on the site, i noticed that the "green" areas mean that it exists in that county, but counties are so big lol that it's hard to pinpoint exactly where the plant is in the county...

·
Registered
302 Posts
nonamethefish said:
I'll have to check around. A ditch near me currently is growing some Marsilea and other things. Most of the times I've tried to pull them up...the leaves simply break off.
noname, are you near me??? if so, that would be exciting news...my marsilea is growing a leaf a week man....ugh....so slow.!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
noname..lol Fres-ho is real real far away from me dude..hehe...i would have to make a road trip to get there. well, I will be passing by there in the summertime anyways, could you direct me to a definite place where I can stop and pick up some nice aquatic plants? I'd much appreciate it, homes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
hi oh yea,are you talking about the raging waters by lawrence expressway in San Jose South Bay?

Mr. Spituch, thank you for the link. its' just what the doctor ordered. I found out that there's quite a few plants growing in the Stanford area. I'm particularly looking for eleocharis and marsilea locally, I will continue my search. Thanks again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Steve, based on your description, I would say, yes. It makes a whole lot of sense to me.

The thing is, it gets way too cold during the winter for these "tropical plants" to survive. i tried raising a whole bunch of aquatic plants in my pond and the only ones that overwintered are duckweed, and myriophyllum parrot's feather... I forget all that i tried but I'll name a few, vallisneria sp's, sagittaria, riccia, vesicularia, ....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Steve I saw your AGA Convention Entry years back in the biotope section and may i just say, great job! You truly have the green thumb.

If you raised those plants from seeds, perhaps you could share with us since oh-yeah has been having trouble and I'm inexperienced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts