Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site might attract more clicks into the forums (where the good stuff is) if the default page for aquaticplantcentral.com had:

* Newer threads than the 6- and 12-month old ones that are there now. If that's hard to maintain, then remove them and replace with "Recent Posts" and "ChatBox" panels.

* A more prominent way to get to the "Forum" link, currently top right in a place of less promience.

* A more visible Fertilator, PlantFinder and Algae Finder -- including text or image calls to action, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_to_action_(marketing)

* A convenient link to the recent posts view, which is the only one I actually use: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/vaispy.php

* Something else other than the data breach warning, since that's now over I think.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
362 Posts
We can probably get some new posts in the homepage...provided that users are comfortable with us posting their threads there. Are there sample threads that we can use now?

new posts can be found here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/search.php?do=getnew

As for the forum link, where would be a better option?

Lee

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a mock up in PDF form. It's too big to attach.

Note, I am not a professional and this is meant to be minimally invasive -- so it's not a site redesign. Hopefully, relatively easy changes to the home page to make it more current and more attractive.

It will be important to compare before and after Google analytics for click through to the forum and the user flow from the homepage to the other pages.

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
This looks really good! I tend to forget the home page even exists because I go directly to the forum everytime.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I think the sole purpose of the home page is to get people who are interested in what we have to click further into the site.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Highlighting the threads with the most activity is always good.
Surfacing threads that beginners would be interested in is good too.
In looking on my phone I noticed that the computer and phone view of the site is quite different.
This might need some work as so many people use their phone anymore to access forums.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Surely the major feature of APC is the forums. It certainly isn't the "home page", which is far from being what APC is largely about. I think a good home page would describe what we do in the forums, outline the major rules that keep things in order here, and very easily and obviously lead a visitor to the main "index" page of the forums. My experience with google is that google leads you to specific posts that relate to what you were looking to find. It never has led me to the "home page".

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Surely the major feature of APC is the forums. It certainly isn't the "home page", which is far from being what APC is largely about. I think a good home page would describe what we do in the forums, outline the major rules that keep things in order here, and very easily and obviously lead a visitor to the main "index" page of the forums. My experience with google is that google leads you to specific posts that relate to what you were looking to find. It never has led me to the "home page".
Exactly the point. And, the home page needs to indicate that there are active users here.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Exactly the point. And, the home page needs to indicate that there are active users here.
+1
i dont think hoppy is seeing the point, that there is a gold mine being completely ignored.

·
Administrator
362 Posts
Not a bad mockup. However, at the moment I won't be able to get any traction on implementation. Techs are wrapped up in software upgrades to sites in our network, something that will probably be happening here as well. Our software is starting to show it's age.

Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts