Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Walstad low-tech 40 B, central FL biotope, creator of Jordanella floridae x Mobula birostris hybrid
34 Posts
Would putting the plants in a bottle or big ziploc bag of plain carbonated water (seltzer water), squeezing out all the air, and letting it sit awhile to asphyxiate the aphids be too harsh for the plants? I suppose the plants may convert the CO2 to O2 unless you kept them in the dark. Hmmm... might be worth an experiment.

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Would putting the plants in a bottle or big ziploc bag of plain carbonated water (seltzer water), squeezing out all the air, and letting it sit awhile to asphyxiate the aphids be too harsh for the plants? I suppose the plants may convert the CO2 to O2 unless you kept them in the dark. Hmmm... might be worth an experiment.
it's interesting 🤷‍♀️ someone else might try that one and let us know haha... I'm not going to be doing more experiments for the meantime...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Dr. Bronner's is a great soap. It's a very good degreaser. You can use dish soap if you don't have Dr. Bronner's but your plant will smell like dish soap for a very long time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spray 3% peroxide on my aquarium plants to kill cladophora algae, let sit for 3-5 min and rinse. Should work for aphids, also, check your houseplants and make sure you get rid of aphids on those also so you don't get a reinfestation. The soap trick works for houseplants, don't think I would try peroxide on them.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts