Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys,
I am so glad that I brought my question out here.
Now I know there are quite a few plant people here who love this group of fish as well. Thanks a lot for those very useful site information.
I started my planted aquarium hobby 9 years ago(back in Taiwan), and P. normani has been one of my favorite fish since that. Really small/simple but quite interesting/charming fish.
(my other favorite fish are pencil fish, south America dwarf cichlid and Corydoras..well...and some small rainbow fish).

Aaron,
Thanks for the great offer of eggs. I will PM you for details, need to learn some knowledge from you about hatching killifish eggs as well.

Jeff,
I wish I lived close to Delaware, so I could get fish from you and check out how you breed your fish.
You mentioned about your lampeye don't do too good in your CO2 injected, open-top tank. Have you experienced any other problem besides of the jumping-out issue?

P. normani likes neutral water according to my past experience, they don't live long if the PH drops due to the CO2. For that reason, I had always kept lampeye and small rainbow fish in low-tech tank with little amount of CO2 provided. However, I might need to try them in high tech tank this time. I think I will try to raise the KH to keep the PH, instead of lower CO2 amount. Not sure if this will work out for these killifish though.

Does anyone have experience on keeping lampeye in high tech, CO2 injected tanks? Any potential issue? What GH/KH/PH of water do you keep these tiny fish in?

Thanks again for all information you guys provided, it's a pleasure to meet other lampeye 'fans'.

Max (A.K.A Ping)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aaron said:
Here is one of my futile attempts in photographing one of my lampeyes
This is a young F1 male, Poropanchax sp. Mouanko (stigmatogypus) The entire body is blue in person. These fish will grow a little larger than normani and seem to be a little more shy. The filaments on the unpaired fins will grow past the tail granted other males don't get jealous and bite them off!
Nice fish, Aaron. Does this group of fish(lampeyes) always swim in group very well like P. normani does?

I accidently found P. normani in a trip to SF, brought some back and will try to breed them again(I did breed them before when I was in Taiwan).
Am going to use floating plant this time instead of floating yarn mop. Maybe floating plants can help to keep water cleaner? I am in southern CA and the tap water is liquid rock, won't be able to do a lot of water change as I did before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.