Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
How are you with hatching killifish eggs? If you are willing to wait after the holidays and are up to rearing your own school from a batch of eggs, I can help! I Actually do not keep P. normani or macropthalmus anymore, but I do have the recently described Poropanchax stigmatopygus (don't quote me on the spelling, I'm taking it off the top of my head!) These fish are considered the sister species of P. scheeli. While scheeli is found on the coast and inhabit brackish waters, stigmatopygus is found on the interior in stearms and rivers. There has been collections from Dehane, Mouanko, and Fifinda and the fish are very very close in form and coloration. They are almost impossible to photograph their true colors as the flash obliterates their electric blue bodies. Just think the color of Melanotaenia praecox on a little minnow like fish... Pretty spectacular! I got them from Toyin at Rehoboth Aquatics (An excellent source for rare, wild West African fish AND plants. He is "sb" on aquabid) over a year ago and just set them up again for breeding. I also have P. myersi (gold form) too and can probably get some of them to you too. Now only if I can get P. brichardi

Email me later and we can discuss the details.

·
Registered
353 Posts
JLudwig,
Poropanchax is indeed their new name. It was changed a few years back, only spilauchen remains under the genus Aplocheilicthys. Congopanchax was also changed and is now under Poropanchax.
If I am not mistaken, macropthalmus is now luxopthalmus, so that name is no longer valid too! I say these scientists need to go out and collect new fish so they can leave the ones with established names alone.

I currently keep 7 species of Lampeyes and all the tanks are open top and have no problems of them jumping. If you give esch fish enough space, you'll get less aggression resulting in happy animals that do not make the leap of death. These are a great group of fish that need more attention in regards to planted tanks and the hobby in general.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is/was a forum just for Lampeyes that seems to be all but dead. It is a Yahoo group and if the archives are still there, I recommend anyone who is interested in these fish to check it out.
Here is one of my futile attempts in photographing one of my lampeyes

This is a young F1 male, Poropanchax sp. Mouanko (stigmatogypus) The entire body is blue in person. These fish will grow a little larger than normani and seem to be a little more shy. The filaments on the unpaired fins will grow past the tail granted other males don't get jealous and bite them off!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I never did think normani schooled very tight, only when spooked. The whole group is that way. (lampeyes) Males need their personal space and when another fish enters that space, they go into either "get outta here" or "check me out" mode depending on the sex of the intruder. The larger the lampeye, the larger the personal space. I notice my Lampricthys need a 1 foot diameter of buffer zone.

You will get a better yield of eggs with a deposit site on the bottom of the tank. Moss will be fine. leave the floaters in the tank though, you'll probably be able to raise the fry in the spawning tank too.

FYI, there is even an albino strain of normani out there. I personally think it is ugly but when available here, it goes pretty fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.