Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey guys, I've been breeding these for about two years now, got my original fish from John Wheeler (they came from the Aquarium Center). I basically follow cookbook gardneri breeding procedures (floating yarn mop) altho the eggs need to water incubate in shallower water than usual to keep oxygen levels high, some folks even keep them in an actively aerated beer bottle...otherwise they seem to fungus, two week water incubation.

I keep my high tech tanks CO2 injected and open-top so they wouldn't do too good as they are good jumpers like most killiefish... One of the killie guys claims this fish has been renamed Poropanchex normanii but I havent seen that anywhere else.

Jeff

·
Registered
201 Posts
Aaron said:
I currently keep 7 species of Lampeyes and all the tanks are open top and have no problems of them jumping. If you give esch fish enough space, you'll get less aggression resulting in happy animals that do not make the leap of death. These are a great group of fish that need more attention in regards to planted tanks and the hobby in general.
Totally agree they should used a more often... photos absolutely butcher these fish, you must see them acclimated and in person. I sent Bailin home with some after the AGA, Jay has some of the fry altho I'm not sure if they made it thru shipping... when the weather lets up a bit (April?) maybe I'll try sending some more out if anyone is interested.... or if you're anywhere near me (Newark, DE) I'd be more than happy to give some out if you want to pickup.

Jeff

·
Registered
201 Posts
cpc1007 said:
Have you experienced any other problem besides of the jumping-out issue?
Not really... the fish are at least two years old now, I have about 8 (5 adult/3 juv) housed in a 10 gallon, quartz gravel, sponge filters, kept on the colder side, around 23C. Surface is absolutely covered in frogbit they seem to like this.

BTW: I saw a lampeye at the Aquarium Center that looked exactly like this but with orange eyes, no idea if its a mutant or related species...

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.