Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I bought some Aponogeton bulbs from Walmart. Out of 5 only 3 sprouted, 2 of them look like crispus although they have very narrow leaves. The third one is very much out of the ordinary. I've never seen anything like it. Found it growing in the back of my guppy tank under heavy cover of other plants that needed a major trim. It was very dark there. I moved it into another tank with more light. It is one of the bulbs for sure, but it has 30-40 plantlets with 1" stems and 1/2-3/4" leaves.
Anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is Chara. And the bulb is still in the middle of all those little plants, I'll see if I can get a better pic.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
little better, also another ID

this pic shows the size better, and the bulb.

Also a pic of a plant that appeared in my pond, I cant find info on it. any help appreciated.
Steve

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Truly weird. I don't recall hearing about Aponogeton spp. without bulbs. Maybe this is another genus. Or rather looking similar to Crypt.

Paul

·
Registered
852 Posts
I sure am stumped. The leaves look like Elatine to me, but if it has a bulb it can't be.

Very pretty though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think it is an apongeton. I have few small ones from walmart that have leaves like that but not so dense.

A possiblility...
Bearded Irises will often put out increases where the rhizome was nicked or damaged it's especially true of the older heirloom varieties that are close to the species. You can almost slice an iris rhizome up like a potato and plant the "eyes". Bet the same thing is going on with that.

Let it grow. You may wind up with a ton of little apongetons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I cant make a positive id on it either but it almost reminds me of Cryptocoryne willisii. Im also wondering if it could be and Echonodorus sp.Perhaps Echinodorus quadricostatus var. xinguensis?

·
Registered
63 Posts
hi im new here great site!

your plant looks incredible although its definitly an aponogeton.
cant be echinodorus though they dont have bulbs. my quadricostatus looked alot different and only rooted.

if you look on the back of the package your bulbs came in, it says what species are in the box. the ones around here are undulatus, crispus, and also "A. sp. hybrid" they call it. i dont know what they are but yours is probably one of them. it is a great looking plant i say let it grow and see what happens.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is ten days after the last photo. I don't know any more then I did before except its gorgeous. Getting bigger every day. I cant believe all those leaves are coming from that little bulb. :shock:

·
Registered
302 Posts
What 'brand' is this thing? did it just come out of one of those grow your own bulbs?

At first, I thought it might has been a very sorry looking crispus hybrid with little reserves to draw from(one of mind shrunk down to just under twice the size of what I think yours are).

How tall is it? If you got a whole bunch, it would make a great foreground!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update: 10 more days later
I dont think its limited in anything.Yes its one of the bulbs from wal-mart.
I'm going to try breaking it apart and spread it out.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Whatever it is, I'm gonna try and find one :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts