Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an apple snail that I tried to keep in a tiny aquarium without filter but I have lost all my plants during that time.

I have a 2,5 g tank which I am scared that it will destroy all the plants so I don't move it there, the plants seem so vulnerable and thin.
Water Plant Green Botany Pet supply

I will build a 20 g low tech tank this week and I want to add my apple snail there.

Which plants can survive do you think? Do you have any experiences with apple snail? I want some kind of carpeting plants but I am scared that it will dig off monte carlo or dwarf hairgrass.

I have put 2 different plants with the apple snail last week and it has destroyed the red leaved one but one of them seems fine. It seems like I can use this one.

Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Sunlight Vegetation

·
Registered
7 gal bowl
48 Posts
I'm a complete newbie but I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the snail. As far as I know the snail only eats the dying plants...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a complete newbie but I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the snail. As far as I know the snail only eats the dying plants...
I am not sure of that with my apple snail. It tears the stem the next day I put a new plant. Or digs off some of them eventually

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
There are snails they eat plants. I don't see your apple snail so I can't identify it. I only see the harmless ramshorn snail in the first photo.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
Some species called "apple snails" will eat any kind of plant. This site should help you identify which species you have and whether it is a live plant eater.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
That is a plant-friendly mystery snail/apple snail. They can uproot newly planted stems though but only by accident.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a plant-friendly mystery snail/apple snail. They can uproot newly planted stems though but only by accident.
I have one more question.

I use fluval stratum in my current tank and the plants get off so so easily. I don't know what I should do for strong roots that snail cant dig off in my new tank.

My aquarium shop wanted to sell me some black sand as in picture to use on it in my new aquarium. He said carpets will be better connected with it. Do you think if it would ve fine for plants and shrimps&snails?

And he also wanted to sell me a nonbranded cheaper aquaclay thats more red/brown in color. I should go with a branded product right? Took some pictures:

Gesture Finger Road surface Thumb Nail
Plant Pattern Soil Rock Rectangle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts