Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some apple snails (bridgesii) And i have read this kind of snails doesnt eat plants, just algae.
Can anybody confirm this? I am somehow skeptical.

Thanks

Paulo

·
Registered
119 Posts
From what I understand they will eat plants, BUT only decaying plant matter. I don't know how well they eat algae. I know the Trapdoor snails I had were pretty good algae eaters, but I don't know about plants(pre-planted aquarium). HTH

·
Registered
302 Posts
they won't touch healthy plants.... only the soft parts of plants..

if you are expecting them to clean your algae, don't...it won't happen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
nfmckee, did you look for/talk to your local stores ? you might be able to place special order if they do not carry. i just got some from a local petsmart ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
They don't eat algae you have to give them foods high in calcium. Go here and do some reading before you get them. applesnail.net and click on the discussions tab.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are Apple snails and Mystery snails(bridgessi), apple snails will terrorize plants, mystery does not and do eat algael.

·
Registered
855 Posts
There are a number of snails that look like Pomacea bridgesii. The only way to tell them apart is to closely examine their mouth parts, or maybe their genitalia.

Perhaps ask the fish store person how he knows they are P. bridgesii.

Most of the genus are enthusiastic plant eaters. The last ones I bought were. <g>

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts