Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
what are the rules on promoting your auctions on the plant forums
Generally if you are an active member of the forum then posting relevant Aquabid or Ebay auctions is not an issue. By relevant, items that one would use for their aquaria, so don't post your gently used F-16 for sale on APC.

Feedback, I always give positive feedback as soon as payment is made, provided it is withing the terms I specified. Usually, payment within 72 of auction close via the method specified.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Good looking auction S, don't expect to get rich from it tho. Selling off extras and trimmings is a good way to supplement the expense of the hobby but rarely to fund it and less often to even make money.

Glad you didn't fall into the trap of adding 3% for PayPal as many others on Aquabid do. Adding a surcharge is against PayPal's Terms of Service. Nothing turns me away from an auction faster then seeing a PayPal surcharge.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
[quite]but why would it be against Paypal's policy when they charge you an extra 3% for credit card payments? [/quote]

You have to factor it in as a cost of doing business if you have a Premiere account that allows you take CC's. Keep in mind that before PayPal there really was no easy way for an individual to accept a CC payment from another individual.

From the PayPal User Agreement, or the fine print most no one reads.

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods).
So as to why, it's against the law in several states.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts