Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having difficulty culturing greenwater

the water starts to gain a green tint, then goes clear.
what am i doing wrong ?

using two different sources of greenwater, same results

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Hmm. I seem to grow it extremely well under a 55w power compact bulb & reflector in a 5g tank.

I've got a bubbler in the tank. I simply toss in some food with high nitrogen content like bloodworms, baby brine shrimp, beef heart, dog biscuits etc... and within a day or two its pea soup green.

The key seems to be to inoculate the water with the algae you want. It helps speed the process.

The tank temperature is 80F as well.

Maybe your lighting or nitrogen content isn't high enough to maintain the growth rate.

Usually I see the water go white with a bacterial bloom first then shortly after it goes green.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i've got 5 gallons (each) one from a spontanious greenwater collection i saw in the kiddy pool, the other from a local stream

the one from the stream died i think
the one from the kiddy pool is ... it's been greener.

so far the only difference i'm seeing from what i'm doing vs. what you described, i'm using shaded window light instead of anything else.

Edit:
i have plans of adding it's own direct light.
i could put it out on the patio, would get more light for sure, ... but won't be able aerate it :(
i've a shortage of bright lights to use :(

... could be nitrogen levels as well, i'm guessing and looking for answers at this point, i don't have any :(

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Best green water I grew was outside, in the sun.
I did run some power out there and had a small air pump going. I kept topping off the tank with used aquarium water.

When I added live Daphnia they ate all the green water algae. I had to keep harvesting Daphnia to feed to the fish and then the green water would recover, but then the daphnia culture would rebound, too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i keep forgetting to put the bucket out in the sun

i added a scoop to the aquarium
16 hours intense light, ... and crystal clear water :(
have been adding fertilizer.
a few days ago i noticed some bladderwort, ... so i'm assuming that's the culprit now. -removing all that i see i see

1 - 7 of 7 Posts