Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a talk on for the local fish club on aquarium-related health issues. Wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions for me.

So far I'm looking at organizing it in this way:

1) physical (electrocution, drowning, cuts/puncture wounds)

2) chemical (contact reactions, allergic reactions, poisoning)

3) biological (water-borne infections, zoonoses)

for the 2nd category, there's the bloodworm allergies, reported duckweed allergies (gotta look this up myself), allergic reactions to crypts and anubias sap.

for the 3rd category, I was going to break it down to reported infections (salmonella, Aeromonas/Pseudomonas, Mycobacteria marinum (fish TB), Vibrio, Erysipelothrix insidiosa, Cercarial dermatitis) And potential infections (Giardia, Schistosomiasis, fascioliasis, Leptospirosis, Campylobacter infections, Entamoebal infections, Cryptospiridium, Typhoid, Microsporidia, Cholera, Shigella)

any suggestions/additions welcome....

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Don't forget children falling upside down into 5 gallon containers, the obvious critter wounds - piranha, lionfish, FW catfish barbs, etc.

Probably the most dangerous is the emotional and sometimes physical trauma that one might be subjected to when trying to introduce the significant other to a new tank. ;)

Some people insist on using concentrated acids to clean glassware - might mention that one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What about some misconceptions people may have about aquarium-related health issues (i.e. CO2 escaping from tank causing problems or burning yourself on a tank heater)?

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't forget children falling upside down into 5 gallon containers, the obvious critter wounds - piranha, lionfish, FW catfish barbs, etc.

Probably the most dangerous is the emotional and sometimes physical trauma that one might be subjected to when trying to introduce the significant other to a new tank. ;)

Some people insist on using concentrated acids to clean glassware - might mention that one.
There's a good pic on one of the forums of a piranha bite that I can use. iirc, the bite occured outside the tank during netting.

lol, I'll have to add that one to the talk - call it New Tank Syndrome? My wife will have no problems taking a picture hitting me in front of an empty tank.

acids and first aid treatment I'll add to the chemical section.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about some misconceptions people may have about aquarium-related health issues (i.e. CO2 escaping from tank causing problems or burning yourself on a tank heater)?
that's a good idea, CO2 is definitely a misconception. Anyone want to hold onto their heater for a bit and bust the second myth? :)

·
Administrator
7,397 Posts
The next time you're at the general meeting, ask Don about his hand. He worked on his tank with a very deep cut but should not have.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, he mentioned that to me before. I think several members of the club have had the Fish TB infection.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Ergonomic issues?

My back about dies after working on my 180g for a time - I can see folks getting mighty sore if not using the proper equipment.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good idea, I'll put that in the first section.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I hear you on the ergonomic issues right now after spending a good share of the day working in the tanks....

How about safely handling, using and disposing of CF bulbs?

Anyone want to hold onto their heater for a bit and bust the second myth?
I do it all the time to make sure they're working, and so far I still have a hand. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how frequently do people get mercury poisoning from CF bulbs? (I'm assuming that is the main concern for it - if not I need educated on it :) ).

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I sure hope you are talking to reasonable people. With a list like that many would think we were doing biological experimentation... My mom would tell me to quit the hobby. I guess I mean to balance all these things with the reality. I have kept fish for 40+ years and never been hurt - even in the slightest.... :D

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
how frequently do people get mercury poisoning from CF bulbs? (I'm assuming that is the main concern for it - if not I need educated on it :) ).
I doubt anyone gets mercury poisoning, but most of mine crack at the base by the time I change them, so that's something to be careful of - cutting yourself, or having the contents coming out while you're handling it. Maybe it's just the one brand I use (the Hello Lights ones), that crack like that since I don't recall it happening with brands like CoraLife or GE. I'll have to be more observant to see if that's it....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Probably not an issue at your place but how about "aquariums as vector propagation sites" like mosquitoes wich can be carriers of deseases like malaria, dengue, yellow fever, equine encephalitis, etc....

And TB marinum (Mycobacterium marinum infection)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just to complement on a comment above,

I know about two types of vibriosis. One is cholerae ( Vibrium cholerae) transmited by drinking water contaminated with fecal matter. And the other Vibriosis is related to marine animal stings or bites (Rays, Lobsters, etc) , Vibrium vulnificus, wich i understand produces some really nasty blistering of the skin and necrosis of the soft tissue under.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I sure hope you are talking to reasonable people. With a list like that many would think we were doing biological experimentation... My mom would tell me to quit the hobby. I guess I mean to balance all these things with the reality. I have kept fish for 40+ years and never been hurt - even in the slightest.... :D
The entire point of the talk will be prevention, prevention, prevention. Alot of people take health issues with their aquarium hobby lightly, if it were their job they'd be more careful. There is a link on another forum of a lady who had an infection related to cleaning her aquarium with an open wound that went to the bloodstream and almost kill her.

I doubt anyone gets mercury poisoning, but most of mine crack at the base by the time I change them, so that's something to be careful of - cutting yourself, or having the contents coming out while you're handling it. Maybe it's just the one brand I use (the Hello Lights ones), that crack like that since I don't recall it happening with brands like CoraLife or GE. I'll have to be more observant to see if that's it....
I'll add that to the cuts/puncture wound section, in addition to the cuts from barbs/spines of fish.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Probably not an issue at your place but how about "aquariums as vector propagation sites" like mosquitoes wich can be carriers of deseases like malaria, dengue, yellow fever, equine encephalitis, etc....
(Mycobacterium marinum infection)
That's a good point to mention - up here alot of us place a bucket outside to get mosquito larvae for feeding fish. The most common mosquito associated disease here is West Nile Virus, definitely worth mentioning.

Just to complement on a comment above,

I know about two types of vibriosis. One is cholerae ( Vibrium cholerae) transmited by drinking water contaminated with fecal matter. And the other Vibriosis is related to marine animal stings or bites (Rays, Lobsters, etc) , Vibrium vulnificus, wich i understand produces some really nasty blistering of the skin and necrosis of the soft tissue under.
I'm trying to gather a bunch of pics of wound infections related to these infections. I'll have to look for Vibrio infections now :). Like I mentioned earilier, the point is to make people aware of potentially severe problems related with the hobby that can easily be prevented.

·
Administrator
7,397 Posts
Be sure to talk about getting stung by fish. I stepped on a bumble bee catfish that jumped out of the tank one time and got spined in the arch of my foot. Wow, did that hurt.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
One other thing I came across today was almost cutting the heater cord when I was pruning some anubias. I always unplug the heaters, but for those who don't, and/or don't have GFCI outlets, it could be bad.....

I agree Cavan, those stings can be nasty. I have to avoid them all the time in my salt tanks.....

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll be sure to mention not to step on your fish ;)

That will definitely be in the 1st section.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts