Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I pile a bunch of heavy rocks into my tank I was wondering how much weight an aquarium would hold.

My particular tank is 55g (48” x 12”). It’s your pretty basic cheep tank I found at the local pet store for $100.00.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It depends on how thick the bottum is and rather or not its tempered.

I don't think you can put enough rocks in there to break a tank. I've seen them filled up 3/4 with sand and they were fine

·
Registered
118 Posts
As long as your tank is on a flat surface and the edge of your rocks do not directly touch the bottom glass, your tank should be fine.
The layer of subtrate will spread the weight equally among the surface.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
When I put a bunch of rocks in my 38 gallon tank I placed a piece of plastic eggcrate on the bottom and then put the rocks directly on that before adding the substrate. I planned on having loaches and didn't want them to undermine my rocks by digging underneath them. The eggcrate is inexpensive and you can find it in a store like Home Depot or Lowe's with the coverings for fluorescent light fixtures (you might need to ask for help as they were directly across from raw lumber in one store).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I put a bunch of rocks in my 38 gallon tank I placed a piece of plastic eggcrate on the bottom and then put the rocks directly on that before adding the substrate. I planned on having loaches and didn't want them to undermine my rocks by digging underneath them. The eggcrate is inexpensive and you can find it in a store like Home Depot or Lowe's with the coverings for fluorescent light fixtures (you might need to ask for help as they were directly across from raw lumber in one store).
Awesome! thats what im going to do.

My tank is tempered glass.

I did come up with some pretty big rocks. I think im not going to use the huge ones (60-70 lbs) and just stick with the mid size ones and more drift wood. But for the mid size ones im gettin the eggcrate for sure. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts