Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

For over a year now, I've used a manual timer for my betta's tank light.(very similar to this) Once I tear down his tank and replant it, I plan on keeping his lights on for the same amount of time as my guppy tank which is 11 hours a day.

What I would like to know is if I get a plug that allows you to plug in two or three appliances while only using one outlet, would it be okay to use something like that with the timer? I don't know if two tank lights(each canopy has two 10 watt CF bulbs making it a total of 40 watts for both canopies) would be too much on the timer.

If you need to see what the plug that I'm talking about looks like, just let me know and I'll post a picture.

Thank you.:)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. :)

I had checked the back of the timer and this is what I've found:

1875W resistive
1000W tungsten

Since both are quite high, I'm assuming that I wouldn't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I would like to point out that this was a very smart question to ask. I had timers that went "kaputs" and never knew why. I always figured that they were all crappy timers, which still may be true, but I likely didn't help matters by plugging in 1000 watts of power into a timer.

HA! I'm an idiot! :D You learn something new everyday, I swear! By pure luck, I got a super-duty outdoor timer that can handle my lighting (I just checked).

Why couldn't you have asked this question five years ago, Rose? :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to point out that this was a very smart question to ask. I had timers that went "kaputs" and never knew why. I always figured that they were all crappy timers, which still may be true, but I likely didn't help matters by plugging in 1000 watts of power into a timer.

HA! I'm an idiot! :D You learn something new everyday, I swear! By pure luck, I got a super-duty outdoor timer that can handle my lighting (I just checked).

Why couldn't you have asked this question five years ago, Rose? :)
Sorry I didn't ask this question sooner Donald. I had only been into fish keeping for two years now although I wish I had gotten into it long ago. Keeping aquariums can be addicting.:)

I've never plugged in appliances that are high in watts into timers or even extension cords before and I didn't know if they would just stop working if there were too many watts going through it or if it could somehow short circuit and cause a fire. I'm glad that my timer will be able to handle my two tanks. :)

Thank you everyone!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts