Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had read some reviews of this business but can't find them now!
Anyone have experiences ordering plants from this on-line business with the generic name?
Not a very original name but anyway...they are in Tea, South Dakota.
Thanks, g

·
Registered
697 Posts
they had opened up a canadian outlet here in winnipeg to make it easier on shipping to canadian customers.

i had placed two orders with them, both times for products. i wasn't pleased with their shipping policies at the time. they shipped once a month, so if you wanted your order quicker, you had to order close to their cut-off date.

my first order took many phone calls, many unanswered emails, and less than perfect condition when it did finally arrive. my second order ended up being cancelled, because it was going to take two months before it would finally get to me. but i had to find out through a website update, rather than a personal email or phone call. and it was by chance that i found out after already waiting 3 weeks. that was almost 2 years ago, and i don't plan on ordering from then again. i've noticed that they've added a restocking fee for cancelled orders... big surprise :p

of course that was my experience, i know lots of people have had very good experience with them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i was ready to place orders with them several times but when it came time to calculate shipping cost...just couldn't pull the trigger. their costs were so waaay outta line it made the whole deal a bad deal. too bad for them...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've ordered plants from them a couple of years ago, had no problems, but other items I had ordered were a real pain in the a--. They wouldn't return calls, e-mails or refund my money. I had to get paypal to get my money back. You might want to check out their shipping prices.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well!

That about does that for the Tea, South Dakota folks, and, already I had gotten the feedback on the Arizona store. So that really does leave Fresh Aquarium and Aqua Botanic, plus of course, all you nice folks here (thanks again to Big Stick!).

And now for those mosses I need! :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have made a few orders with them and have been very pleased. - But I have not tried anything "irregular", tried to contact them, etc.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well!

That about does that for the Tea, South Dakota folks, and, already I had gotten the feedback on the Arizona store. So that really does leave Fresh Aquarium and Aqua Botanic, plus of course, all you nice folks here (thanks again to Big Stick!).

And now for those mosses I need! :D
Ever since buying plants on the For Sale forum here and a couple of other similar sites I've not seen the need to buy from too many commerical establishments. The shipping fees are usually so reasonable amongst fellow members and almost always people put in extra plants and extra amounts too. And the 2-3 WTB postings I put up usually got me numerous replies and offers within hours. Are there certain plants you need or want that you have not seen for sale here or not had a successful WTB posting?

·
Registered
87 Posts
My experience wasn't the best. In trying to sell me "their proprietary" substrate (apparently, as I found out later, it is nothing more than SMS) and "substrate fertilization system," they made some extremely disparaging remarks about Tom Barr that left me cold, even before I knew anything about the hobby (or Tom Barr, to be honest).

This says nothing about the quality of their products or shipping; Simply, between their apparent mischaracterization of their substrate as "their invention" when it isn't, and a completely uncalled for personal and disparaging mischaracterization of one of the most experienced, and, in his giving away of knowledge on many forums, generous, aquarists (as I came to know him), just not the way I want to do business, so I chose not to deal with them.

·
Banned
732 Posts
I’ve made several purchases from them in the past year and I was extremely satisfied.
I made two different plant purchases and numerous equipment purchases. They were extremely helpful to me and I had no problem asking questions over the phone. They had no problem taking back and exchanging items.
They indicated that they are swamped with e-mails and do not generally respond to every one.
They are extremely knowledgeable (They grow all their own plant in tanks like us using artificial light) and are willing to work with you on your project.
They have a number of unique items one of which is an electronic regulator which I agree with them is the best regulator in the world after trying two others.
I’m not interested in cheap, fast deals; so, I don’t mind waiting for a good thing. They are certainly not e-bay but my experience on e-bay (what am I ?? a yellow star buyer) You get what you pay for!

·
Banned
732 Posts
They had disparaging remarks about Tom Barr without prompting. Really odd if you ask me.
Did they say something about Tom Barr to you or is that what you picked up from this thread?

I've talked to them a few times and the subject of Tom Barr never came up. They really are very helpful, extremely successful at growing plants and very knowledgeable about growing a wide range of plants.

I don't know of any other place that has such a wide variety of plants available all the time. If you do, I'd like to hear about it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got plants from them a month ago. A couple bundles were in tough shape, so they threw in two more bundles of another plant to compensate. Id give them an 8 out of 10. I ordered a CO2 bottle from them last week, there prices on them are very good.

As rich815 said, I think I'll be getting any plants from forum members from now on. I'd rather give my money to a fellow hobbyist than a store.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have just ordered plants from them two weeks ago, and received the plants last Friday (I have asked them to ship only when the weather allows.) The plants came wrapped in with some cone shape bags, soaked newspapers, and then a big zip lock bag. All the plants arrived very healthy, and I am happy with the order.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did they say something about Tom Barr to you or is that what you picked up from this thread?

I've talked to them a few times and the subject of Tom Barr never came up. They really are very helpful, extremely successful at growing plants and very knowledgeable about growing a wide range of plants.

I don't know of any other place that has such a wide variety of plants available all the time. If you do, I'd like to hear about it.
I obviously can only speak from my experience. When I discussed what little I had learned at that point about water column dosing from Tom's comments on TPT, and what I had learned from lurking here, they were extremely disparaging to Tom's person, and his views, in a way I personally found shocking, to be honest. I was disappointed, as I had hoped to buy from them for the very reasons many talk about here - I had a cart ready with "their" soil, their "substrate injection system," and many plants to stock my 20H, which now numbers about 100 plants or so.

It is simply a philosophical thing with me. I value relationship and truth more than anything else in my business dealings. If it is true that the company's "proprietary" soil is really nothing more than another's soil, re-branded and marketed as one's "proprietary" own, I have an issue with that. I also have a tremendous issue with trashing another's character with personal slams, and dismissing their work out of hand, when, after the fact, it sure seems to me it just might simply come down to an attack on a theory that doesn't exactly support the notion that substrate enrichment is a necessary component to good plant growth, or, to take it from how it actually was discussed in my conversation with the company, that the notion of water column dosing might have some merit (without exaggeration, to put it mildly) - when the company sells substrate enrichment materials.

But again, I only speak for my one instance, which in my case was enough - I just don't work that way. I am glad others have found them to suit what they are looking for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have placed 2 orders with them and had problems both times. I first ordered their substrate and after 1 1/2 of waiting for it to be delivered I called them and I was advise that they were out of buckets? WFT you can't send an email.But they did send it out as soon as the buckets came in. Last week I placed another order for their custom aquascape (20.00) and I called a week later to find out what's going on with it. I then was advised that the guy who handles it is out all week and he is backed up and it would be a few WEEKS for him to catch up? HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! No reason why they couldn't send an email stating they were back up or over booked. I would think twice before I order from them again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I place an order almost two weeks ago and have call and emailed them several times about my order. I got no reply from email and when I talked to the person on the phone the told me both times that my order would ship that day but it never did. These people have the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. They also charged my credit card when they took the order instead of when it is shipped so they have my $350 and I do not have any merchandise. Take my advice and take your business someplace else unless you want a lot of anguish.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've palced a couple of orders with them, and the only snag was that they had to build the regulator I wanted. It's not the best of procatice, but I stil consider it a Mom-Pop shop until they have a bonafide production line. It's more along the line of a Local Gardner with on-line purchase availabilty. The plants I received from them were exceptional, and out of the 12 plant assortment, I received 14, and it had 3-4 of each plant. I will go back unless I can finda cheape source for the plants. 38 plants for $20.00 isn't bad.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts