Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see numerous articles on how to start an aquascape, and how to address various problems, how to setup a layout, etc. But I have consistently encountered difficult in the realm of aquascape maintenance...

For Example:
1) Do I trim HC or or Glosso? When do I trim it? If I do trim it do I go in and cut out individual leaves to thin the carpet or is there another method

2) Do I cut the tops off stem plants or do I remove them and cut off the bottoms and replant the tops?

3) Where moss is concerned, is it best to lay a small strand and let it fill in or to clump a large portion together and thin it as it grows? What is the best way to approach thinning?

4) When pruning Riccia or Mosses do you remove the hardscape they are attached to?

Specifically most of my questions deal with pruning of plants...These are just a few questions which occur to me...

If there is an article or book or anything of the like which addresses these questions, please someone direct me there. If not, I think it would be nice if people reading this thread would just post their experiences on maintaining various plants and what they find to be the most successful method for doing so.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
There may be such an article out there, but I am not familiar with it. But to address some of your questions:

1) Do I trim HC or or Glosso? When do I trim it? If I do trim it do I go in and cut out individual leaves to thin the carpet or is there another method
I have neither HC nor Glosso, but I do have HM (H. micranthemoides) which I keep as a 'sod'. I do that by trimming stems as they grow up, making it stay low. Eventually it is a nice sod, and after a while, I pull up the whole carpet, re-sprig it, and start over again. These 'haircuts' do make a mess, I end up with a net removing bits of leaves, sprigs as they float up to the surface.

2) Do I cut the tops off stem plants or do I remove them and cut off the bottoms and replant the tops?
You could do either or both ways. Personally, I'm a cut off tops/discard bottoms/replant tops. I do this because usually the bottoms have been crowded out and don't get the needed light to look good to me.

3) Where moss is concerned, is it best to lay a small strand and let it fill in or to clump a large portion together and thin it as it grows? What is the best way to approach thinning?
When I've had moss, I usually tie some strands or a small clump on whatever hardscape I want and let it grow. When it gets too thick, I remove the hardscape, turn it upside down, let gravity take its course, and give it a hair cut. Trimming moss inside the tank is a headache waiting to happen because strands will go everywhere and will attach everywhere you don't want.

4) When pruning Riccia or Mosses do you remove the hardscape they are attached to?
See above. I've never grown Riccia.

HTH.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bert, thank you so very much...I appreciate the time you spent in addressing my questions/concerns.

·
Registered
345 Posts
BJ, thank you very much! These Q's are some of the biggest one's I have had on my mind for a while, now, but never knew how to ask... Thanks so much for showing the initiative, I needed to see this Thread!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can share some of my personal experiences with Marsilea Hirsuta (is like glosso):
I have two "fields" of Marsilea in my aquarium. On one of them I've adjusted the "carpet" by cutting the plants above a certain level. On the second field I've removed the surplus plants with roots and everything.

After 5 months of nice development, the part with "scissors prunning" leafs started to regress and when I've removed it I saw several rotten roots .. exactly the roots of the pruned plants. The other carpet is still OK.

My personal conclusion: on this type of plants, you better remove by hand the surplus than using scissors. This may be inaccurate as a scientific fact and it's based only on my personal experience.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Liviu. Your contribution is much appreciated. I think it is safe to say that this is one area of aquascaping where there appears to be little discussion, and every little bit helps.

Anyone, please feel free to contribute to this thread! Hopefully it can serve as a condensed reference and save some heartache for those who have less practical experience (like myself)...Everything is welcome

·
Registered
345 Posts
Concur. This should be a sticky for all the plant dweebs (like me) to quick reference or ask dumb-a$$ questions in.

Maybe move it to a sticky in the General Plant Discussion section??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts