Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like may of you 1 tank is not enough. I dug up this 10 gallon I had and decided to go to work, me and my little helper (my daughter) are doing this as a project together. And we would love to have some input on plants and decoration placement. I have a few pics of some ideas, tell me you thoughts.

10 gallon tank
40w light fixture
pressurized co2
eco-complete
fulval 1 internal filter
ei dosing

my helper

Idea one

Idea two

Idea three

Idea four

·
Registered
303 Posts
You can also, if possible, try to find a way to prop the wood up at an angle, sticking out of the substrate. (think Pride Rock on the Lion King!) Perhaps it could rise out of one of the back corners (again very angled) with perhaps a large bush of plants rising over it from the back and anubias taking care of the lower-front areas.. Just another idea for you to consider. :D

As far as plants go, I'd say whatever suits your fancy. 40w should be able to grow most moderate light plants, though I'm not sure 4 WPG over something as small as a 10 gallon is enough to grow anything too demanding. One of the experts here can help with that though :D

If you're looking to do a sophisticated aquascape with your little helper, I'd say to try to stay away from the large plants, and get some thin, smaller stems growing in bushes. The smaller stems will make the tank appear larger, whereas large plants simply make it look small and overcrowded. I'm a bit of a rotala fan, and most rotala remains small enough to do wonderfully in any size tank :) There are many other options, however.

Did you want a ground cover? I personally find them a necessity in my own tanks for my own viewing pleasure, but not everyone feels the same way. Have you thought about what sort of look you want to go for?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the lion king look is definitely an option. I was thinking hc as a ground cover, and may be an anubias petite. Narrow leaf sounds good, thanks for the tip. I have another light in that fixture that will make it 80w but I don't know if that is too much. My only other tank is a 29 gallon and there the wpg rule applies. I'm not sure how lighting is measured in the nano world.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I prefer the look of Idea 3 - it looks much more dynamic than the others. If you could leave it in that "upside down" orientation and get one end elevated as inareverie suggested I think it would look great!

As for plants, your WPG will let you do most anything, but I'd stick to smaller-sized plants. I have a 7 gallon desktop hex and it's easily overwhelmed by even a bushy Cryp wendtii red or green. I personally think it looks more spacious if I stick to small-leaved plants.

Keep us posted on the progress!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I prefer the look of Idea 3 - it looks much more dynamic than the others. If you could leave it in that "upside down" orientation and get one end elevated as inareverie suggested I think it would look great!

As for plants, your WPG will let you do most anything, but I'd stick to smaller-sized plants. I have a 7 gallon desktop hex and it's easily overwhelmed by even a bushy Cryp wendtii red or green. I personally think it looks more spacious if I stick to small-leaved plants.

Keep us posted on the progress!
sounds good, I will elevate one end. And I like the smaller leafed plant idea something I over looked. I have a bubble counter coming in from ebay next week then I can assemble this together.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I filled the tank with water and added 1 crypt, 3 Sagittaria subulata, and a carpet of Eleocharis acicularis. And two Vallisneria in the back, when the water clears I will post picks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so the tank is foggy and the plants came from a local fish store. Judging by the condition of the plants I was rescuing them rather than purchasing. My helper and I picked them out and went to planting. No fish until I get a co2 drop checker, for know I am just over doing it with the co2 and feeding the tank for a little fish less cycle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks good. I like the second one myself. I am curious however, what kind of C02 system you are using for this tank.

Thanks-
Irish

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am teeing it off of my 5lb tank that feeds my 29 gallon. You can't see it but on the left is my high tech diffuser ( a .99cent air pump end) ha ha ha. Next week I have a drop checker and nano diffuser coming in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oh, ok then. I am really trying to find a small (rather inexpensive) pressurized setup for a 10 gallon myself.

Irish

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked for one of those and could never find one. I got sick and tired of messing around with yeast and these monstrous 2 liter Apparatuses (no offence to any of you using one) that I just broke down spent two hundred and bought a 5lb setup. Big price tag but very worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts