Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I am having some trouble aquascaping. I have a bad case of "collectoritis". Luckily I have many 10 gallon tanks hanging around to spread it out on. I have finally decided to take the plunge into making an actual aquascape. I had put the rocks (they weren't exactly the ones I wanted) in originally, because I had a vision of what I wanted to do.

I've decided to use one of the 10 gallon tanks that has most of my favorite plants. The specs are:

Size - 10 Gallons(ish) (20"x12"x11")
Filtration - A cheap HOB filter I had laying around
Lighting - 2-13 watt CFLs (6500K) = 26 watts = 2.6 wpg
Substrate - Seachem Flourite (planted) + pool filter sand (non-planted)
CO2 - None, Excel after water changes
Fertilization - None
Fauna -
- 3 Orange Platies
- 4 Black Widow Tetras (used to be 6, but 2 died in an accident:()
- A handful of Ghost Shrimp
Flora -
- Cabomba caroliniana (Green Cabomba)
- Cryptocoryne wendtii (possibly undulata?)
- Microsorum pteropus (Java Fern)
- Vesicularia dubyana (Java Moss)
- Hygrophila corymbosa 'compact' (Compact Hygrophila) - New leaves are getting a red colour! :D
- Aegagropila linnaei (Marimo Moss Ball)
- Anubias barteri var. nana (Anubias Nana)
- Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (Micro Sword)
- Echinodorus bleheri (Amazon Sword)

Well, here is a picture of what the tank looks like today, not exactly my vision...

As you can see, it pretty much is just a big, undefined, blob of green.

My plans -

- Possibly adding some Otocinclus sp., for the algae on the walls (Could I do this safely?)
- Removing the Amazon sword after it grows to the surface and selling it back to my LFS
- Removing the Java moss
- Getting bigger (Small fist-size) rocks for the separation between the flourite and sand
- In the final scape, I will turn the driftwood so it isn't leaning over, like how it is in the picture
- I am going for a "Forest to Meadow to Beach" look
- Might replace the lilaeopsis for some dwarf hairgrass, because it isn't looking to hot
- Remove the Cardamine lyrata I am reviving after testing its ability to withstand incandescents (its on the sand)

Here is my AquaSketch of what I want it to look like:
(Note: I made it 5x bigger and when viewing, view it from the opposite side, and lower, so the micro sword looks like 1 big patch)

http://www.theaquatools.com/content/view-your-sketch&num=11237

I used some different plants on the program to make it easier, but I will be using the same plants I mentioned. The Lilaeopsis isn't going to be one big square, thats all going to be filled in. Also, Aquasketch still makes it look like a big green blob ;).

Anyways, what do you think?
Give me all the constructive criticism you've got!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Why are you removing the java moss? It is such an easy plant to grow.

Not my cup of tea but looks like some good aquascapes that I have seen.

Love the sketch. It looks what is called a right angle scape. I would add some lava rock to create depth. Make a small drop off, up a bit where the rocks are, and angle it towards the corner. Then put sand on the drop off.

The tree looks like prehistoric animal. Wish I could find something like that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are you removing the java moss? It is such an easy plant to grow.

Not my cup of tea but looks like some good aquascapes that I have seen.

Love the sketch. It looks what is called a right angle scape. I would add some lava rock to create depth. Make a small drop off, up a bit where the rocks are, and angle it towards the corner. Then put sand on the drop off.

The tree looks like prehistoric animal. Wish I could find something like that.
I think I would like to remove the java moss because I like the look of the bare branch, it has a rawer feel to it. Also, I don't get exactly what you mean by the "drop off", in the clump of plants on the right?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Like a cliff on the California Beaches, a drop off from the area near where you have rocks, which divide the area for sand, to the corner.

·
Registered
930 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooh ok, I think I get what you mean now. That would be a pretty cool idea actually, I will have to see if there is any proper sized lava rock around. Aquasketch is an neat program, the only downside is that you can't erase individual plants.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Update?

I finished my tank but it didn't turn out as I thought it would. I think to get some height in the tank it would be best to use eggcrates or wire mesh with similar holes. I was told the eggcrates, which look like cross stitch material, are in the light section. I used lava rock and it didn't get slopes up as high as I had wanted it to be.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Can't wait to see the update

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys!
The lights are off in the tank right now, but I promise that I will give you guys a picture update when they go on. A lot of has been changed around (kinda) in this tank. I will give you guys all the details with the picture update.

Dawntwister - Wow, thats actually looking really neat! When I go on holidays I would love to do something like that.

Malawi - I'm not sure if I want to move it, just because I think the cord might be more distracting in the end. I will see what it looks like though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update!

Current Fish/Plants List:

Fish -
- 3 Orange Platies
- 4 Black Widow Tetras
- 1 Oto (read more below)
Plants -
- Cryptocoryne wendtii
- Microsorum pteropus
- Hygrophila corymbosa 'compact'
- Aegagropila linnaei
- Anubias barteri var. nana
- Sagittaria subulata
- Bacopa monnieri
- Pistia stratiotes
- Lemna minor

Here is what the tank looks like:

To combat my algae issues I Added 3 otos. 2 of them died in the first couple days and then I realized that my algae issues aren't really too bad (a little green spot algae on the glass and a little bit of bba on a couple crypt leaves). Anyways, now I am left with 1 oto which I am just going to keep, he doesn't really do much algae eating, but he is cute so he can stay. I ended up adding some sagittaria subulata and some bacopa monnieri, I think I may take those out though. I might just use some rotala rotundofolia and a different carpeting plant. I'm going to take out the java fern and the anubias and replace them with more Cryptocoryne wendtii. I also added some water lettuce and duck weed to suck up the excess nutrients. The duckweed actually seems to be growing the worst out of all the plants though. I think it gets eaten by my black skirts when they are hungry (I've seen them eat pieces).

Any other advice/constructive criticism?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I like the rocks separating the sand from the pebbles. I think it's much better. You might want to cover the rocks with moss. It would look nice. DO you think you might want to put some foreground plant s in so that your not left with so much visible substrate. It would look nice that way. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Tex Gal!

I forgot to add some points to my last paragraph. 1) I plan to put more black rocks in there to create a more defined line/seperation. 2) I hope the sagittaria will send out runners in my tank, creating a short carpet that isn't 6 inches tall. My light levels are kind of high, so the plants *should* be smaller. I might cover the rocks in moss, I don't want them to get lost in the carpet though (if it forms).

·
Registered
930 Posts
I reread the 1st thread. I can't believe you got everything growing so well with these lights - 2-13 watt CFLs (6500K). For others, whom are experienced told me that 2-13 watt CFLs (6500K) = 26 watts = 2.6 wpg is not true. The wpg rule is based on T12 bulbs, which are rarely used since most of the light does not reflect into the tank.

Your tank proves that plants grow in any light and that you can't just go by the facts. There are so many variables in a tanks ecosystem that you do best experimenting and finding out what works for your tank

http://www.barrreport.com/general-p...ting-bulbs-plants-2.html?highlight=wavelength

1 - 20 of 26 Posts