Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are there not more online ADA Aquasoil distributors for the US Region. From what I've gathered there is a large enough demand for it that more than just 2 companies should be supplying...thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Aren't ADA products sold world-wide, but appeal only to the top end of the market, in general? If so, ADA might believe the market is too limited to add more stores here. I wish my LFS were selling Aquasoil too, as well as those great tanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So ADA Regulates the US Distributors? I just find it interesting because it seems as though there is a growing demand for it and someone would have stepped up to compete with ADG and Aqua-Forest as far as US based online retailers go. Additionally, a while back I know Tom Barr (who im not sure associates with APC any longer) was dissecting the Aquasoil composition...I figured there may be a couple of mom & pop stores making their own brand...or at least some DIY sites...

I just want a little price competition for what seems to be the best substrate on the market!!!

Maybe I overestimate the size of the US market or maybe I overestimate the disposable income of aquatic hobbyists.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
*cough*

We have awesome soil based substrates here in the US. Costs about $2 for the base, $30 for 50 pounds of cap, and about $40 of additives for the base.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot.html

I set up my 180g for umm, about $120, sub and cap. I did get the Potash and Dolomite given to me, so if I had to buy those lifetime supply bags (that I do now own for all future tanks), make it $160. My only experience with Aquasoil is in a nano tank, so can't directly compare I guess - but I'm tickled pink with how the 180g is doing, and plant to use that soil method in all future planted tanks.

I ought to make up packs of the "adders", make it easy for folks. Finding clay, potash, etc., is a pain in the hiney, maybe that is why more folks don't try it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.