Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time i am going to use live plants in an aquarium, the trouble is I need ideas on how to design the tank. It is a 15g high which makes it slightly awkard but I think it could have potential. I found a bunch of rocks in the forest and gave them the vinegar test which they passed. i was thinking about stacking them up almost to the top in a corner of the tank and have some sort of mossy type plants grow on it (but i am not sure and I am up for suggestions!) Any ideas you guys have as to plant suggestions and placement would be well appreciated keep in mind I am new at this, super finicky plants requiring expensive fixtures are a no go.

These are the rocks I mentioned:

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
*pokes site* I don't see the pics of the rocks, but your description reminded me of this 2010 AGA contest entry. Doing something like that would be cool!

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
:welcome: to APC. We'd love to help you but can't see your images. You need to post them on a site like flickr. Then grab the URL of the image and post it that way using the picture icon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well for whatever reason the top picture isnt working....but that is okay it is just a regular 15 gallon high aquarium...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I always use Photobucket for my pics, but any photo hosting site should have a "direct link" option, and if you cage that URL in [ img ] url [ /img ] (with the spaces taken out) it should show up. Unless there's some arcane permissions settings in Flickr - some places may not allow that kind of embedded photo linking. Oddly enough, I could see your tank photo attached to the subscription notification email, but not on the post itself... how'd you manage that?? ;) Using URL seems like a good workaround as the link to the rocks did work.

What fish are you thinking of keeping?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey tex gal, I took a look at that link you posted, it looks really great but I was thinking of something slightly different. I want to make one of those moss walls using either java or christmas tree moss. I also love the tanks that have a brilliant looking grass covering the floor.

Hi silvering, thanks for your insight. my next post will surely be better! lol. As for the type of fish - definitely freshwater: maybe a nice dwarf gourami with some other colorful fish...neons? Like I said i am really up for suggestion and inspiration from veterans of aquatics like yourself =] Thanks guys

·
Registered
296 Posts
Since you want to use rocks, that makes me think cichlids - although I don't know that there are any rock-dwellers small enough for a tank that size, and the tiny cichlids I do know about tend to be fairly drab (pardon me, "subtle" ;)) in coloration. Sounds like you want bright colors! I've had very good experiences with my neon tetras. I do like the neon/dwarf gourami combo, the only thing you gotta watch out for is when the neon mafia gets together and sends out a hit neon to harass the gourami into submission. XD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i love cichlids, but not for this tank. Haha love the bit about the neon mafia - they can be a group of bullies sometimes, although there will be ample places to hide for the gourami.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also what type of lighting should i use in this tank (fixture and all). It would be awesome if i could use one of those clip on fixtures (like the kind you would use in a reptile tank) and put a different bulb in it. I am on a tight budget

1 - 11 of 11 Posts