Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
what makes an awesome glass cleaner is a zebra nerite snail. they may lay eggs on things, but BOY do they clean the glass. Just keep one. two apparently causes them to mate and want to lay eggs. I am not sure about a single snail.... But I love them for their ability to clean glass magnificently well.

Cherries are decent at pick pick picking. I think red nosed shrimp are as well.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Since they are so small, they barely put a dent to cleaning algae. Ocats, amano shrimp, nerite, and of coarse yourself is the best combo.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what makes an awesome glass cleaner is a zebra nerite snail. they may lay eggs on things, but BOY do they clean the glass. Just keep one. two apparently causes them to mate and want to lay eggs. I am not sure about a single snail.... But I love them for their ability to clean glass magnificently well.

Cherries are decent at pick pick picking. I think red nosed shrimp are as well.
Too bad Amanos are so dull looking but I know from experience they work well. Nerites don't reproduce in fresh water right? Do they escape from open top tanks?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Too bad Amanos are so dull looking but I know from experience they work well. Nerites don't reproduce in fresh water right? Do they escape from open top tanks?
they can. I have mine in a 1 litre vase at the moment. Wondered where it went. looked on my desk. it was sitting there. dropped it back in, it walked off. The snail had the vase crystal within a few hours of putting it in.

I highly recommend them. They don't reproduce in fresh apparently. Some might have, but its not common. Mine haven't. I have a brackish tank I might put some eggs should they try to reproduce. Nerites are gorgeous snails and kinda fun to watch working.

·
Registered
414 Posts
no CRS are not very good algae eaters in my experience. They may eat softer types of algae like diatoms but won't do much for the tougher kinds like string, hair, spot, bba, etc.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh well, no substitute for good old Amano shrimp! I wonder why Amano's tank don't usually show snails. Do they burrow?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts