Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Walstad low-tech 40 B, central FL biotope, creator of Jordanella floridae x Mobula birostris hybrid
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 NPT gallon tank with a thriving population of amphipods (the ones that are like laterally-compressed pillbugs, about 1-3 mm long, and also some critters that are just barely-visible-in-a-flashlight specks). I just started a 2-gallon NPT colony of about 20 wild-caught Florida grass shrimp.

I am wondering if there's a reason not to just move the shrimp into the pods tank? I really enjoy watching the pods and don't want to destroy their population, nor do I want the pods to eat harass the shrimp or keep them from reproducing. I've seen conflicting info online and mostly just speculation.

Anyone have actual experience in how these species interact?

Thanks!

· Registered
8 Posts
I have a 10 NPT gallon tank with a thriving population of amphipods (the ones that are like laterally-compressed pillbugs, about 1-3 mm long, and also some critters that are just barely-visible-in-a-flashlight specks). I just started a 2-gallon NPT colony of about 20 wild-caught Florida grass shrimp.

I am wondering if there's a reason not to just move the shrimp into the pods tank? I really enjoy watching the pods and don't want to destroy their population, nor do I want the pods to eat harass the shrimp or keep them from reproducing. I've seen conflicting info online and mostly just speculation.

Anyone have actual experience in how these species interact?

Thanks!
In my experience, both amphipods and Florida grass shrimp can coexist peacefully. The amphipods generally won't bother the shrimp, and the shrimp will not actively hunt the amphipods. The shrimp may eat some amphipods if they happen to come across them, but it won't be a significant number. The main issue you may face is competition for food. The amphipods may compete with the shrimp for the same food sources, so you may need to provide more food for the shrimp if you notice them not getting enough to eat. Other than that, I would say that you should be able to keep both species in the same tank without any major issues.

· Super Moderator
6,109 Posts
In my experience, both amphipods and Florida grass shrimp can coexist peacefully. The amphipods generally won't bother the shrimp, and the shrimp will not actively hunt the amphipods. The shrimp may eat some amphipods if they happen to come across them, but it won't be a significant number. The main issue you may face is competition for food. The amphipods may compete with the shrimp for the same food sources, so you may need to provide more food for the shrimp if you notice them not getting enough to eat. Other than that, I would say that you should be able to keep both species in the same tank without any major issues.
"m" is almost certainly not a person. Instead it is a pseudonym for a CHatGPT, a type of artificial intelligence algorithm that can imitate the prose style of any author.

M, I challenge you to a duel. The weapons will be our humanity, or lack thereof. Answer this question: why does a woman need a man like a fish needs a bicycle?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts