Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just discovered the world of iwagumi, and would love to get started on creating one. I have several different sizes of some fossilized coral that I found locally last summer. These fossils have been dated to around 350 million years old, and range in size from about two by two inches all the way up to 12 inches long and a good 8 inches wide.

I have been told that it would be unsafe to place these in any type of tank. The reasons have ranged from one extreme to the other - one including that there is STILL salt in these that would continue to leach out into a freshwater tank. Granted, no one who "advised" me about these fossils was an actual expert in aquariums, so I don't know what to do.

They are beautiful specimens, and some of them would look gorgeous in a freshwater tank. Any ideas here?

Glad I found this forum! Thanks for any help,

Patty1

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
They should be very safe. Soak them in a bucket of water for a day, if you are worried about resudual salt. I don't think you have to worry about even that. If you pulled them out of the ocean, the residual salt water clinging to them wouldn't be enough to bother things in a freshwater aquarium.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts