Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After planting and flooding a walstad, are frequent water changes required? Or can you just let everything run it's course until it settles out in its own time?

If they are required, what's the situation that would call for a water change while it's establishing? I've heard excessive ammonia can damage plants, but what's considered excessive ammonia?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I noticed my plants looked "burnt" (blackened, little holes in the leaves after a couple days of 6+ ppm of ammonia. So I'd definitely say that's excessive lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,793 Posts
I would not let ammonia get above 1-2 ppm. A high concentration of 6 ppm can be toxic to plants.
For the first 6-8 weeks following tank setup, you may need to do water changes, substrate poking, and monitor for ammonia/nitrite. After the soil settles down and plants are growing enthusiastically, you can relax.

·
Banned
323 Posts
If you do a cycle with plants and no ammonia dosing and just let the tank run for 3 weeks and then do a water change you will probably be ok. I don’t do any water changes if I soft cycle a tank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts