Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another bubbling species. This is is a tiny stem plant which bubbles right the top. Size of bubble is big. They look impression in big cluster.

Grows really slow though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
"Arthraxon" sp. 'Malaysia': a Commelinaceae?

Hello,

I doubt whether this plant belongs to Arthraxon and that it is a Poaceae at all.
I don't cultivate this plant indeed, and it's obviously not yet available here in Germany.
But there are obviously two little flowers with 3 petals on the first pic in this thread of frozenbarb:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/sale-trade/55525-my-jungle-arthraxon.html
Such flowers are characteristic of Commelinaceae (Murdannia, Tradescantia etc.).
Inflorescences of Arthraxon: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ARHI3
Has anyone a closeup photo of a flower or inflorescence from emersed "Arthraxon sp. 'Malaysia' "?

·
Registered
82 Posts
hmm looks like I am reviving and old thread, but in anyway let me pitch in my 2 cent

This plant underwater looks alot more like a dwarf version of Poaceae 'purple bamboo'

from my 140, this is an Arthaxon bush

the original pic

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Very interesting. The one I have has much longer leaves:

I'm going to try a small side-shoot emersed and see what happens. No promises as the conditions are not "controlled" to much extent, but if I get flowering I'll certainly update with pics here.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Dave,

Your plant looks like it's from the family Commelinaceae (Commelina, Murdannia, etc) rather than a grass. The size and veining make it look that way at least. I may be able to shed more light on all this soon.
I eagerly await... :wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.