Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to convert this tank from merely planted to thoughtfully aquascaped. The specs so far:

-20 gallon long tank
-66 watts DIY CFL lights installed in the hood
-Eco-complete and Flourite Black sand substrate
-Occasional fertz dosing from the Seachem line
-Inhabitants: female bettas and young male guppies growing out
-Plants:
  • Rotala indica
  • Lilaeoposis mauritius
  • Ludwigia palustris
  • Java fern regular, windelov & narrowleaf
  • Narrowleaf chain sword
  • Java moss
  • various colored Crypt. Wendtiis

I have gotten together all the necessary parts for a pressurized CO2 system as well as the fertz to start dosing PPS-pro. I plan on getting a lot more stem plants for the back, not sure what else to do yet.

Ignore the isolation box in the left hand corner as well as that random filter in the front (needed to increase flow to combat algae). I like the wood placement on the right hand side of the tank. The left side....I am not too fond of. None of the plant placement is final LOL.

What does everyone think so far? Do you like the wood placement?

Plants I have that I could put in the tank: dwarf hair grass, a lot more crypts, several anubias nana petites, susswassertang, christmas moss, riccia

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
The right side looks great. I like how you've placed the wood and I can see how full the plants will be once it fills in. The wood on the left seems to massive/heavy and it looks like it's right by the front glass which increases the effect. If it were in the back and partially concealed by plants growing in front of it (I'm thinking mid-height stems or crypts), I think it would fit in better. Or a grouping of plants without any wood might also work better. Experiment and see what suits you.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
I like the wood placement so far. I think as your foreground fills in it should conceal the larger piece over time.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Great piece of wood.

I think some Hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon or something with long flowing leaves on the right would be interesting.

Since you don't like the left side, why not just try a right scape?

by eyebeatbadgers

·
Registered
816 Posts
I agree the left peice of wood looks heavy. But then I am a person who loves an overgrown weed fest. plant some fast growers around it and that thing will look AMAZING. Good work so far. Keep us all posted.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Good start. Keep it going.

As for the light, it looks a little on the warmer side. What color temperature are the bulbs? Just wanted to make sure that the plants get the right light. The color temperature should be around 6500K.

·
Registered
930 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's some update pics. I added a lot of plants. Left side has: ludwigia brevipes, star grass, hair grass, ludwigia repens x arcuata, unknown gold colored hygro (its not really visible in the photos), unknown light green stem plant, java ferns, crypts.

Right has rotala indica, ludwigia paulstris, l. sessiflora, microsword, HM, various moss, susswassertang, crypts, cork score vals

Plants need to grow in more and I'm trying to figure out what else to put in there. I want to remove the ludwigia repens x arcuata and the unknown gold hygro on the left side and replace them with smaller leaved plants. I have stems of random unknown plants I will put in there shortly. lol, then I'll start an "id my plant thread". I also want to remove the corkscrew vals, but I'm not sure what to replace them with. CO2 should be hooked soon and hopefully colors will start to pop.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Looking nice! The wood on the left fits in much better with plants around it. Quite a pleasant jungle effect you have going right now.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wow!!! What improvement. Like how the 2 pieces of wood direct your eye to the middle. Feel it is missing a focal plant between the 2 pieces of wood.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Holy cow, what a difference! It's looking great.

I agree with dawntwister about needing something in the middle of the wood. I'd say a red sword would be great (ozelot, rubin...) but that might get too big. Maybe a Tiger Lotus? They stay short if you maintain them and the color is amazing, even without trying. (Just my thoughts... )

-Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was trying to go with a scape that has 2 "hills" of stem plants in the back and then an open space in the middle background and midground. Sort of like this (not my tank just from google):

I see how the two drift woods on both sides draw your eye to a (nonexistent) vocal point in the middle and I don't like it LOL. I repositioned the dritwood on the right side a bit. (Specifically I move the bottom driftwood down towards the substrate and angled it slightly towards the back of the aquarium.

Those vals have got to go lol.

When I take the java fern encrusted wood on the left out of the tank I really like the kind of open feel I get. I'm debating whether or not to ditch it all together. I do have several other pieces of driftwood I have tried on that side and nothing looks right lol. If I did get rid of the wood on the left I would move all the stuff on the right side over a bit more towards the center.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies thus far!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts