Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the luck of finding some emersed grown HC being attacked by fungus. I took several photos of it both macro and microscope pictures. You can actually see the fungal filaments penetrating the HC's stem.

Notice the fine filaments of fungus attacking the HC. Compare the general appearance with the healthy HC on the right.

Zoomed in under the microscope

Fungus inside HC stem

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
And now say it. Say it once and for all so no one ever asks again: How to get rid of fungus in an emersed setup?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 options, make the tub more dry by opening it up to the air, or submerse it so the fungus drowns.

Fungus thrives in conditions that are too wet but not submersed.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Yup, I switched to the humidity domes with vents and it makes a world of difference keeping fungus at bay.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you found fungus to be a problem on other plants other than HC? If memory serves HC seems to be very susceptible to this type of fungal issue, but other plants not so much so.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I have the most issues where I'm using organic substrates such as my Crypts that have leaf compost as part of the substrate.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Not sure if it was fungus but when I had my emersed UG, I see some spots where there's like this cotton-y white thing growing on top of it... Should have taken a pic...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts