Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I will. The only reason why I havent gotten them is because I think that snails are good for my tanks. They eat the leftover scraps and such.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will. The only reason why I havent gotten them is because I think that snails are good for my tanks. They eat the leftover scraps and such.
I hear ya... I don't mind SOME snails... but those MTS snails hijacked in on a shrimp/plant combo order, and literally EXPLODED... and trust me... I don't feed that tank that much, because it produces enough algae on it's own, for the most part, to keep the shrimp happy. It's just not fun to look at my shrimp tank, to enjoy my cherries, and I have to see these spiral cone shelled little gang members, all over the tank, in all different sizes. I wish my loaches would not eat my shrimp, because they would be having a FIELD day right now.

and I'm not really into the whole squash 'em, collect 'em out, blah blah blah. I just want them either gone, or at least, greatly reduced.

I do like ornamental snails like apples and nerites. fortunately, the assassin's look pretty nice to boot!

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I hear ya... I don't mind SOME snails... but those MTS snails hijacked in on a shrimp/plant combo order, and literally EXPLODED... and trust me... I don't feed that tank that much, because it produces enough algae on it's own, for the most part, to keep the shrimp happy. It's just not fun to look at my shrimp tank, to enjoy my cherries, and I have to see these spiral cone shelled little gang members, all over the tank, in all different sizes. I wish my loaches would not eat my shrimp, because they would be having a FIELD day right now.

and I'm not really into the whole squash 'em, collect 'em out, blah blah blah. I just want them either gone, or at least, greatly reduced.

I do like ornamental snails like apples and nerites. fortunately, the assassin's look pretty nice to boot!
if you can reduce your algae you'll subsequently reduce the amount of snails in your tank. an algae free tank can have a very low snail population. population explosions are directly correlated to algae blooms. tons of algae= tons of snail food

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you can reduce your algae you'll subsequently reduce the amount of snails in your tank. an algae free tank can have a very low snail populations. population explosions are directly correlated to algae blooms. tons of algae= tons of snail food
don't my cherries like the algae though? what would you suggest... shorten the light cycles?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts