Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Aren't hygro's illegal to sell but fine to give away

?

Not trying to bash...just afraid u might get in trouble.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I knew, it was the Hydro Polysperma/Sunset that was illegal. I know many states banned them commercially You can still get plants like H. difformis in areas where polysperma is illegal.

As for the spelling mistake, thanks for catching that pineapple. As usual, my brain is faster than my fingers ](*,)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oh ok. I know for sure polysperma is Hygro. From the structure of of the Ceylon, I assumed it to be Hygro as well. Maybe it is a Hydro. I believe hydro and hygro are two different things. If the Ceylon is trully a hydro, then no it's not illegal to sell.

But I believe any Hygro is illegal to sell. That was what i have been told, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
There is no such thing as a 'hydro.'

The genus is properly called Hygrophila, which includes about a dozen different species and varieties commonly found in the trade:

Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila polysperma 'Ceylon'
Hygrophila polysperma 'Sunset'

Hygrophila corymbosa 'angustiifolia'
Hygrophila corymbosa 'kompakt'
Hygrophila corymbosa 'siamensis'
Hygrophila corymbosa 'stricta'

Hygrophila difformis

Hygrophila balsamica

Hygrophila sp. 'Red'

This is a relatively diverse group of plants including the common green hygro, giant hygro, willow hygro, and water wisteria... just to name some of the common names circulating around.

Carlos

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:oops: As usual, spelling has not been kind to me. Thank you back woods Ohio elementary school:( Funny too, that I did not catch that until now.

I certainly do apologize for any confusion.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't forget H. lacustris and H. 'Pantanal wavy" :wink: . I'm sure there are dozens of others not mentioned...

I'm not positive, but I think they use "Nomaphila" as the other genus name to avoid setting off alarms with "the powers that be." The LFS I get plants from works very closely with these "powers" and gets in many species of Hygros. AFAIK, only H. polysperma and its variations are illegal in the state AND illegal to import internationally no matter what state you're in. In fact, I think polysperma is banned from being sold anywhere, which is why it's almost impossible to find it on-line, even.

But no, there is no ban on all hygros. Not by a long shot... Thank goodness :) .

-Naomi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.