Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together an auto-dosing setup for a new aquarium (200l) that I'm installing. Will be using two peristaltic pumps; one for macros and one for micros. I've got some questions:

- I want to dose directly into the output hoses of an Eheim 2126. These should work shouldn't they?:

http://www.aquazoo24.de/product_info.php?products_id=920&osCsid=9e2e12030b6268e955a63a71dd31b2ea

Any issue with getting two of these and putting them on the output hose?

- Can someone confirm these calculations for me?:

If I mix up 1 liter (1000ml) of water with the following: 30g KNO3, 12g K2SO4 and 12g KH2PO4, each 50 ml dose of this mix added to 175l effective water volume will give me 5.5mg/l of NO3, 5mg/l of K and 0.25mg/l of PO4?

And if I add 2.7g of CSM+B into 1000ml, 50ml of this solution will add 0.05mg/l of Fe into my tank?

The reason the above uses 50ml per dose is that I may choose the AM dual doser which has a minimum dose of 50ml/minute. This doser becomes more interesting than the APT doser (very small volumes per minute) if I decide to increase the stock solution in order to use it for top-off water as well (it will be an open top tank).

All inputs welcome!

·
Registered
256 Posts
My only concern is that you'd be plumbing the end of a light-pressure system (perstaltic) into the return for a higher-pressure system (Eheim). I know perstaltic pumps are supposed to prevent backflow, but that's under normal atmospheric pressure. I don't think, IMO, that they would be able to withstand the water pressure coming off the return from the Eheim.

And it's too early for me to be doing math. :) Someone with more active braincells should be able to check your work.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah, I put a check valve right off the Tee. Also make sure the Tee is pointed up so that the minerals fall into the flow from gravity.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, check valves sound like a good idea.

Regarding the pressure from the Eheim, wouldn't the vast majority of that pressure be directed down the path of least resistance; straight down the larger diameter hose?

If the pressure is such an issue then how are the ferts going to enter the flow of water at all?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I was thinking more of a barrier to keep from the fertilizer from mixing. The pressure might suck some of the fertilizer from the line.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Sorry to bud-in, but I have questions regarding auto-dosers that are of importance. Do you not worry about nutrients settling? In that case, how would you know you have a sufficient dose of each nutrient each time the doser turns on?

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hehe... that was going to be one of my next questions! :)

Anyone have a chance to double check my dosing calcs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts