Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have kept grade S/S+ CRS's for over a year now. One thing I have noticed is that in a group of about 30, several females will be berried at a time, but it seems like only a small number of juveniles make it to adulthood. I realize that they are not RCS and don't have the same survival rate, but it seems like only 2 or 3 survive to adulthood per hatch.

Is this normal, or is there something I can do to up the survival rate? I don't have java moss in the tank, but is java moss needed to raise shrimp? I feed them plenty, but I rarely see the babies on the pellets I feed the adults, so could it be a feeding issue?

Let me know if you have found something that improves survival rates.

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
What are your water parameters? Early on I tried keeping CRS in PH above 6.8 and had the same problem. Set up a new tank and kept PH at 6.4 to 6.6 and survival rate is near 100% now and I have 3 colonies running from young and some are very nice Hinos.... The young need lots of bio-film after birth as well and too "clean" a tank is not good....Moss also provides allot of surface for bio-film and places for the fry to feel safe.

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That could answer the question. I don't think my water parameters are off. I use AS and have lovely soft SF water. The pH stays sub 7. I will move some berried females to another tank with moss and see if there is a difference in survival. It is less clean with lots of hair algae.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem. I'm going to start moving them to the 10 gallon and when they start to take off, I'll let you know. I'll sell/trade extras cheap locally. Anything to avoid shipping!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.