Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from TN!

I have been a lurker here for over a year. I live in the northeast tip of Tennessee--drive any further and you'll be in Virginia. I have had fish for 30+ years, and plants as an aside, but I set up my first true planted tank 2 weeks ago. It is 125 gallons.

I raise bettas, and I have a lovely male in my 125. A few days ago I stuck a young female in there to see how they got along. They were doing fine. So today I checked on a different pair in the mating tank, who are finally laying eggs but the female is eating them. I walked next to the 125, and saw a baby fish. There are guppies and platies in there, so that's not really remarkable, just cool since it is a "new" tank. I'm not really sure whose it is, since I didn't think anybody was ready yet.

Then out of the corner of my eye......I saw that the male and female are breeding! Right there in the 125! There's a glowlight tetra underneath, racing the male for the eggs. There is no real nest -- he's blown a few bubbles among the duckweed, and he is trying to put like 5 eggs in one bubble.

So anyway. Hello, and welcome to my Fish Story. :D

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Welcome to APC :cheer2: ... Congrats on the Betta fry!

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
It's so neat to see your fish breeding. I have a 125g too. I routinely see my congos, blue and yellow spawning. Following in hot pursuit are red rainbows looking to scarf up any eggs he can find. My zebra/leopard and glow light danios are also spawning all the time. That's what I love about the hobby... a little window into nature! :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I love about the hobby... a little window into nature! :D
Exactly! That's what I was telling hubby when I first put some new glowlight tetras in the 125g, and they immediately started spawning....it's not that I want a million babies, it is that we can provide enough "nature" to make them act like it's nature....and then we can watch. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
The need to reproduce is extremly strong. Given any where near decent conditions most creatures will make the attempt and sometimes the opposite is true. Unfortunatelty there is little reward, besides a feel good, except for BAP points at your local Club. Fish are almost as intense as humans in their desire to spawn.

Congratulations! More fish is good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh....pics....

Here is the first pair that were bred on purpose.

Next is the blue male and his almond leaf, which he loves. And the last 2 are the bettas in the 125g that decided to surprise us. You can see platys and the tetra that kept trying to participate.:D

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts