Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - this is my first post. I recently got into aquascaping and after a lot of research ordered Adana products. Now, I've had the tank cycling for 1 week. I have no fish yet, but I already have algae. I used Powersand and Amazonia II soil which set my current pH at 6.4. The ammonia is off the charts at 8. I have a 38gal tank with a canister Eheim filter and a powerful light which is on 8-12 hrs a day. Temp is around 76-80F. For substrates I used were Bacter 100 (generous amount), Tourmaline BC, Penac W, Penac P, and Clear Water. I also added Top Fin's Bacteria Supplement. I have 12 plants in the tank - anubias, java moss, etc.

Here's the problem: I have what looks like three different types of algae. One is on some plants and looks like short hairs. The other is on most plants and appears as brown deposits on the leaves. The third one appears on just one driftwood - white, milky and slimy clusters on wood. The plant leaves are already rotting and the water is murky white - getting clearer. I've attached pictures of all three. Any help with algae identification and solution would be most highly appreciated. Thanks. :pray:

Gary

Attachments

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a whole lot for the tips, Zapins. Here's my current situation:

The milky water is now almost crystal clear. The plants are starting to grow and are releasing new leaves. But now the algae problem is more intense. The fungus on the tree (third picture) has spread and now short hairs are growing through it. Some plants have died. What worries me the most, however are the amounts of dust on plants and with the soil. The stuff stirs up really easily and might release more ammonia into the tank. I have a feeling it's Amazonia II soil. What do you think I should do?

Thanks
G

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think the dust now has become the main culprit as it's settling onto the plants and is suffocating them. The soil is now very saturated with dust. Lost 4 more plants over the the weekend. At this point, I'm not sure it's worth replanting the plants. I'm thinking to switch back to start over and switch to regular soil aqua soil. What do all of you think? If I fix the algae problem, will the dust (which I suspect is from Amazonia II soil) issue be ale to be fixed or will it always be present?

Thanks again for your help

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a bit overwhelming. As this is my first fish tank since childhood (20 years ago), I don't think I should have gone with the ADA setup. I've done a ton of research prior to getting the aquarium, but it seems like the research I've done is not enough for an ADA setup. Amazonia II seems like the soil for a seasoned fish-keeper, and not someone who is just starting out. Being in Boston, I talked to a few local pet shops and none of them know of ADA and Amano. The replies I got were in tune of "This seems to be a very advanced substrate system" and "we have no idea how to even begin to deal with this". So with that said, I feel like I should take the soil out and restart again with Flourite or Eco-complete. I still would very much like to keep a lot of plants in the tank. What do you think? What kind of substrate would you recommend? What kind of additives? I have a "Jungle" brand tablet CO2 system in the tank, but it's hard to measure it and I'm not sure if I'm ready for CO2 with my experience. Any advise would be huge.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks - this gives me hope. I'll check the soil status tonight and see if the substrate is still holding together. If it is, I'll cram the tank with new plants. Any particular way you seed the plants in with minimal dust clouds. I'll get some Excel online as well. Do you suggest using Easy-Life Easycarbo instead of CO2 with my experience? I checked on ammonia status – still unchanged, of the charts high. Nitrates and Nitirites are also there at very high levels. I pruned the plants and took out the dead ones. The algae on the tree is starting to take over the tree. Is there a good place to get Excel quickly? Should I be doing 20% water changes every day?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just ordered Excel from a local shop. That should cover part one – getting rid of the mass algae on the log. What about taking that log out and boiling it for 10-15 minutes? For part two I'm planning to go get a bunch of plants tonight and plant them into the tank. Are there specific ways to plant the plants without stirring up dust clouds that have worked for all you in the past? How often should I be changing water? I think my light is two 50W tubes turned on 8-9 a day. The tank is 36"x12" and is 20" high at 38gallons.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, everyone, I listened to your advice and added 15 extra plants to my tank. After that I did a 30% water change, added a simple CO2 system (By Hagen), trimmed the dead leaves and added Excel to the tank. As an advice from a local petshop, I also added Tetra Safe Start to lower ammonia and speed up the cycle. Last, but not least I took out the log with algae and dosed it with Hydrogen peroxide ad then boiled it, cooled it and added back to the tank. Hopefully this will fix the issues I've been having.

In regards to the light, I checked and it's a 96W 12000K lighting system. There is also a second light (white and blue), also at 96W. Can you advise as to how much light I need? (38gal 20" high tank) How long should it be on for?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.