Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I woke up this morning to find about 10 Barclaya Longifolia leaves floating on the surface of my tank, the plant is about 3-4months old could it already be going into a dormant period? I have read on the internet that "The dormant period can often be broken by moving the plant." but I often find this type of information unreliable/untrustworthy, is there anyone on this forum with experiance with this plant that can help me out...

regards,
phil..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, it is going dormant. I would not move it though. I've found that sometimes even subtle drops in temp can trigger dormancy on this plant. Is your tank heated? If not, it might be the cooler nights that triggered this. I have had good luck keeping Barclaya growing for over a year in a heated tank without a dormancy period. In fact, the plants got enormous.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heater off the other day for tank mantanence and then forgot to turn it on again for about a day, could this me the cause? also I have noticed since incteacing my photo period all my agapenton cryspus's stared flowering, could this be having an inverse effect on the barclaya?

thanks for the help guys..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts