Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want the basics for a 55G.
Let me know some easy plants, some easy techniques, and if you could, use simple language as I am new :D.
I don't care about some tech terms, thats how I will learn.
Basically, I want to know what I need to have plants
Such as, do I need those different chemicals?
Do I need a CO2 unit?
What kind of substrate do plants favor?
Where does everyone get all those interesting shape wood pieces?
What is the plant that makes your aquarium look like its growing grass?(cause I really like the look of it!)
I am a newbie to plants, but not to general aquariums and fish
Thanks!!!!
Oh
And I know this is probably such a repeated thread that most of you just want to move one
But
I really need help
I truly have no idea what I am looking at when I read through these forums

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Welcome, cougar1331puma!

The best advice I got when I first started out was to "read, read, and read some more". The other best advice was "be patient".

Take your time to find the information you need. The threads Bert linked are full of great info to start with. You'll probably be plagued with algae at some point, so read about algae as well. ;)

So, have you thought about what fish you might want to keep? Have you considered any particular plants along with the "grass"? Check out the Plant Finder (top left of the page in a gold menu-bar) for some good ideas.

-Dave

·
Registered
221 Posts
Focus your research of this first step on the foundation, substrate. You can add all or none of the other gizmos later.

Don't let it intimidate you, read in the substrate threads and make up your own mind. Or, you may quite possibly let your wallet make up your mind.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Best overall advice - be patient. Let your tank develop naturally. Don't try to force things.

A good example are fertilizers ("those different chemicals" as you called them). You don't need any for the first month or so. But from browsing the forums you may decide that you must start adding them even before you add water to the tank. Or even before you have a tank :).

Next golden advice - keep things consistent. A pressurized CO2 system helps you avoid fluctuating CO2 levels in your tank. Changing the same amount of water on the same week day is another example of consistency.

Next good general advice - use the amount and duration of light to let the new tank establish slowly. A lot of light for a long time means everything goes in overdrive (and down the hill). 8 hours of 110 watts of fluorescent light over a 55 gal. tank is "a lot of light" when you start. 3 hours will provide more natural development.

And last - don't follow different advice every few days. Choose one way and stick to it. All of them have downsides so don't get distracted. (Except my method of course, haha)

Hairgrass is the name of your favorite plant. Once you try it it will not be your favorite. Ask why - that's why we are on this forum. The wood you can find at local pet stores. It usually needs to be soaked in a bucket for several weeks because it releases tannins - chemicals that color the water like tea. Change the water in the bucket every day. Patience comes handy here too...

--Nikolay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone.
First, let me thank everyone for helping me out!
Second, I forgot to mention that my 55 g is established, and has been so for just over a year.
Lastly, I have another question:
Will my peacock eel and dragon goby be okay in most substrates that are out there?
They both like to dig, and sand is my sub. right now.
Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Hey everyone.
First, let me thank everyone for helping me out!
Second, I forgot to mention that my 55 g is established, and has been so for just over a year.
Lastly, I have another question:
Will my peacock eel and dragon goby be okay in most substrates that are out there?
They both like to dig, and sand is my sub. right now.
Thanks!!!!
For diggers, you want to avoid sharp material (like blasting sand or super fine grade quartz). If your tankis already established, jsut throw some plants in there. ;) Your sand substrate that you've got will grow plants just as well as most other 'specialized' ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts