Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
If you have high light intensity and too little CO2 in the water to support the plants growing in response to that high light intensity, you usually end up with BBA. Or, if you have plenty of CO2, but don't have enough water circulation in the tank to keep CO2 (and fertilizer) enriched water available to all places in the tank, BBA is usually the result. Once you get it only small infestations will go away by correcting the CO2 and circulation problems. With serious infestations you have to remove or kill what is already there or it just grows better with CO2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what will happen if you take plants with a little bba from a hi tech tank and put them in a low tech tank? what does it look like? sorry for all the questions Gerry

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
I find that once BBA starts on a plant you need to kill it with Excel or a bleach water mixture. It doesn't often just go away on its own. I'm sure the growth rate would be much less at lower light, but I don't think it would just vanish.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have had bba in both my original low light tank and my high light tank. for me the real solution came not from over dosing excel or bleach treating. Instead I first started by cutting my light period from 12hr to 4hr then I did water changes daily of 25% or more for a least a week. This started reducing the amount of bba in both tanks. What finally did the trick was reading all about aquatic fertilizing. I found that the cause of the algae was an imbalance of nutrients and light and the DIY co2 was not very consistent, adding to the problem. So now with a good fert routine my plant aere growing fast and the algae is almost gone on its own. This is just my experience so far and I hope you have success in your bba battle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it's black and an algae, and if i bought some plants that say, had a touch of bba i might have a problem? Gerry

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
so it's black and an algae, and if i bought some plants that say, had a touch of bba i might have a problem? Gerry
You could prevent that from being a problem by dipping the plants in a strong Excel/water solution for a few minutes. Any BBA will turn white when it is dead, after first turning red as it is dying. Then if the tank conditions are right, no more should grow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Hoppy i'll remember that. by the way i worked in Sac for 20 years and your in my age bracket if you don 't mind one of these days i'll e-mail you Gerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts