Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been fighting BBA since Ike in my 50 gallon tank. Here is what I've done so far with only fair results.
Added pressurized CO2, Dosing Excel directly on the tufts with a sryinge. About 20 ml every third day. Got ottos and bristlenosed cats. Added a Korlia #2 pump for better circulation just today. (It is an ugly addition, but really moves the water around my lower plants) My light is a 96 watt 6700 cf running ten hours and a 96 watt 10,000 about 2-4 hours a day. The BBA is only on the Anubias and the African fern. The excel turns it a slight pinkish and the otts eat a little of it as does the brislenosed cats, but new keeps appearing. I was wondering if a SAE would eat it while it is new? Anyone know where I could find a true SAE here in Houston? There is none to be seen on the other plants I have which are mostly Rotala Indica and Ludwigia Repens and Blyxa Japonica. I've clipped off some effected leaves, but my Anubias are slowly being stunted by the excel, I think. Any suggestions would be welcome. Hate to cut back much on the light as the other plants are thriving.
Also trying to keep the Anubias shaded a bit by the the taller plants and a bit of floating plants.
Also dosing with the full line of Seachem products per their dosing schedule. One other question.
Since I added the C02 the ph is about 6 or lower. The fish show no signs of distress from it. Could I increase the C02 a little. I understand the a ph drop is normal and probably ok. Running it about 10 hours a day on a timer with my 6700 bulb. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Yes, you can increase the CO2 until you see your fish may not be tolerating it well, then back off. Be very slow about this. At first I really worried about the pH drop as mine is in the 5's. But I never saw any fish issues with it. I do know that I can't keep briggs snails. It's just my luck that the pond snails and others do just fine!

I also think your photo period is an issue. I would try to at least cut back the sunburst to no more than 2 hours. I have mine on only 1 hour. The slower growing plants are a challenge. It's worth a try.... :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, you can increase the CO2 until you see your fish may not be tolerating it well, then back off. Be very slow about this. At first I really worried about the pH drop as mine is in the 5's. But I never saw any fish issues with it. I do know that I can't keep briggs snails. It's just my luck that the pond snails and others do just fine!

I also think your photo period is an issue. I would try to at least cut back the sunburst to no more than 2 hours. I have mine on only 1 hour. The slower growing plants are a challenge. It's worth a try.... :D
+1 on all that. Almost exactly what I was going to say! When I dropped from 10 to 8 hours plants were fine and algae dropped considerably. Adding a Koralia was key for me too.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi Glen,

The best algea fighting combo that I use are amano shrimp, ocats, and nerite snail and of coarse yourself :D. I highly recommend nerite snail and ocats for cleaning anubias. As far a SAE, I found them ineffective once they grow out. Use amano shrimp instead for hair algae. If you don't know your co2 parameter, buy a Kh and Ph test kit. If you have pic of the algae that would help us easier to identify and give better advice.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The algae is definitely BBA. No problems with anyother kind in that tank. I do use a kh and ph test kit. Also got some cherry shrimp in tank, but no amano. Will reduce lighting and slowly increase CO2.
Running about 2-3 bubbles per sec while it is running. My loaches are keeping the pond snails to just a few now. I just thought to try an SAE for awhile and see.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The algae is definitely BBA. No problems with anyother kind in that tank. I do use a kh and ph test kit. Also got some cherry shrimp in tank, but no amano. Will reduce lighting and slowly increase CO2.
Running about 2-3 bubbles per sec while it is running. My loaches are keeping the pond snails to just a few now. I just thought to try an SAE for awhile and see.
Not sure how many plants you have but in my 72 gal I'm going at least 8 bubbles/second.

While SAEs may help keep it in check (I guess) I had three and they barely touched it. So I would not be pining your hopes on a couple/few SAEs being any kind of real solution. I'm down to one now (the other 2 took suicidal leaps a few months after buying) and find the occasional BBA sprout on my outflow pipes still. The SAE is constant in his travels and nibbling around on all plants and equipment but leaves the BBA alone for the most part.

Until I dropped my photoperiod and cranked up the CO2 (and made sure it was well-dispersed around the tank - two eheims, 2026 and 2028, and a Koralia) I was getting BBA coming back almost every day. Nothing really serious but unless I hunted around every night with the syringe of Excel or H2O2 it would have been a problem. Now, as mentioned, it only comes on occasion. And usually it's because of something I did (CO2 did not go on one day 1-2 weeks earlier, major substrate disturbance without changing the water right away after wards...)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You all have talked me out of the SAE, so think I'll just cut back a bit on lighting and increase the co2 a bit. Tank is filling in nicely since I pulled out the vals and sags. Will post a pic sometime this week.
That is a really nice tank Rich.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a pic of my tank and one showing the bba still left on an anubia. It is slowly going away for now as cut my second bulb off and increased c02 slightly along with the ugly pump. Seems to be helping. Will change water tommorrow 50% and squirt some excel on the upper part of the driftwood on the right. Seems to be growing some there now too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You are really much better off removing any leaves with the BBA. It will only make it harder, if not impossible to get rid of it if you don't.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clipped off all bba infected leaves I could find. Removed the infected driftwood and it was really coated all over with it. Will give it a bleach treatment or use hydrogen peroxide on it. I believe that was my biggest source of it. Added twenty ml of excel after changing about 50% of the water. Anyone got a ratio for mixing the bleach or peroxide with water? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
19 parts water to 1 part bleach is what is recommended.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts