Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the category 'Gezelschapsaquarium' (Community tanks) this tank was this year's winner:

The concept of the contest is almost the same as with the Dutch contest. This tank was given 97/100.

Some specs about the tank:
- L 2,5 m x D 65 cm x H 55 cm
- lightning: 10 x 36W fluorescent
- automatic iron dosing
- CO2 with controller
- pure osmosis (RO)

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Thank you for posting. Can you please give us the web address of this contest?

The aquarium above:
98" x 25" x 22"
900 l / 230gall
360W
1.6Wpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all.

It's the tank of the man you see on the picture: Alain Debeer. He won the contest for the second time in a row (contest is held every 2 year).

There is no web address about the contest. The federation isn't that high-tech yet :?

My tank got in 8th. These are some pictures I took on the day the jury came by my house to check my tank.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Thank you for posting, Sven. The top tank in this contest doesn't remind me so much of a formal, ordered Dutch layout as much as some of the ones in the NBAT.

These aquarium communities really need to get 'high tech' and open up a little to the outside world. That, and take better pictures of their tanks. :)

Carlos

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sven, I just wanted to say your tank is VERY pretty! I especially like your foreground and the P. gayi background. How did you create the slope effect with your E. tenellus? Was it through terracing, or simply pruning? Congratulations, BTW!

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Yes, please give us some information about fertilizing, lights, and so on.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tsunami said:
Thank you for posting, Sven. The top tank in this contest doesn't remind me so much of a formal, ordered Dutch layout as much as some of the ones in the NBAT.

These aquarium communities really need to get 'high tech' and open up a little to the outside world. That, and take better pictures of their tanks. :)

Carlos
You're welcome, Carlos. There are a lot formal Dutch tanks too in the contest. But Alain, the winner, doesn't like the typical Dutch aquascaping. And I agree with him completely. I think the Dutch style is too strict, too clean.

And you're quite right that they should open up. This picture is bad quality, because they always shoot slides. I think they scanned one in. Problem with BBAT is that the organisation is run by people with average age of 65 years :roll: They don't even own a computer.

This is the link to the website of the BBAT. I think that'll say enough...
http://www.bbat-aquariumwereld.be/

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Magnus said:
Sven, I just wanted to say your tank is VERY pretty! I especially like your foreground and the P. gayi background. How did you create the slope effect with your E. tenellus? Was it through terracing, or simply pruning? Congratulations, BTW!
Thank you, Magnus :D

The slope effect with the tenellus was plain luck. It just grew that way. Only think I did was pruning the plants against the window, because it got too crowded sometimes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Edward said:
You are a moderator, http://www.aquaplantsexchange.nl/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=34 ,
very nice forum.
What kind of fertilizers people use in Belgium and Holland?
Thanks, Edward! But not even close to what you and your moderating colleagues are doing here! I am really impressed by this forum. Thumbs up!

This is something where Belgium and The Netherlands are far behind you all in America.

I am one of the very few who PMDD my fertilizer (I order my trace mix with Greg. Very good service!). The others just use Easy Life Profito, Sera Florena, Tetra Florapride. And some (very few) use KNO3, but that's it.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I find it very interesting that the winning tank above has only 1.6 WPG of light. What plant species are in there (hard for me to see from the picture). Although, I have indeed heard the argument that most of us over-light our tanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts