Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. 30 gallons
2. 1 x 96 watt AH Supply PCF (6700k) 3.2wpg
3. Eheim Professional 2222
4. Flourite (some older regular gravel) - deep
5. Cyperus helferi, Suarurus chinensis, Rotala sp. 'Vietnam', Ludwigia brevipes, Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green', C. parva, C. albida, Eleocharis parvula, HC, H. micranthemoides '2 leaf', Monosolenium tenerum, mystery liverwort, Hottonia palustris, Eleocharis sp., Aponogeton undulatus, Microsorum pteropus 'Philippine, M. pteropus 'Tropica'
6. Apistogramma borellii, Epiplatyus dagettii, Aphyosemion bivittatum 'Funge', Trigonostigma heteromorpha, T. espei, Trichopsis pumilis, Caridina japonica, numerous cherry reds
7. nitrate - Lamotte, phosphate - Seachem, KH - AP
8. Flourish, Flourish Iron, Kno3, po4:
9. Pressurized co2 - Pinpoint ph controller - inline DIY reactor
10. 10 gallons weekly
11. tank set up in 1991


Tank was having spectacular growth for a good while. The issue is a recent outburst of beard algae.

I was dosing:
3.5ml Flourish
4ml Flourish Iron
6.5ml kno3/po4 solution - 1teaspoon kno3, 1/8th teaspoon po4 in 100ml distilled water

Now gets:
2.5ml Flourish
3ml Flourish Iron
6ml of the fert mix with double phosphate

The tank had a big stand of L. inclinata 'Cuba' that evidently needed a LOT of ferts. I removed it because it was growing a little too well but kept that fert regimine.

Things were good for about 6-8 weeks. Then, beard algae started showing up on the helferi and older leaves of other plants.

Saw some twistiness on the brevipes (in the past has been indicitive of low nitrates), stunting on the HM, some older chloritic looking leaves on Saururus and wendtii (despite all the iron). Otherwise, plants are healthy. Didn't have new reagents on phosphate kit and got some. Tests indicated nitrates at about 13, phosphate at .2. I think the P kit may be suspect. I've just about had it with test kits in general.

Water flow seems to have slowed. Co2 reactor may be clogged.

I think the problem may have something to do with excessive traces, low phosphates, or both. I have found miniscule amounts of BBA here and there (co2 is about 30-35ppm). I haven't asked for help for anything like this for some time, but I think I may be overlooking something. The only other thing I can think of is that I may have disturbed a Jobes spike.

In the past, beard algae has only showed up in nutrient poor conditions, but I have heard of it showing up in other conditions. I rid my 44 of it in a week with increased ferts. Maybe it just moved across the room. :cry:

Notice the newer fert regimine. I don't think I need all that I was adding. The phosphate thing has me puzzled.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The BBA is very hard to find and not that much of a problem. I've only seen it in places were there is very little or no water flow. It's not the problem. The beard algae is.

The Lamotte reagents are brand new and seem to be ok. Co2 levels are as high as I want them. This is the first time I've been successful with shrimp, and I don't want to raise the co2 any higher (though I do know the fish can take it).

I think I may have overreacted by doubling the phosphate, so I may make a new batch with 1.5x P.

I think my main question is if anyone has ever run into problems with excessive traces. The chloritic leaves are a real puzzler. It isn't too bad and seems to be limited to older leaves. I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top