Aquatic Plant Forum banner
181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
sotiris your plant bottles look good! Are they doing well so far?

As for LED lighting, I haven't read too much about them. I think there are some nice LEDs out there but I think there are also some LED strips that are pretty much useless, you should post a question in the lighting section on this site and one of the others who has used LEDs more extensively can help you.

I personally prefer T5 high output lights, the ones they sell as "grow lights" for hydroponics are usually pretty good and cheap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
sotiris your plant bottles look good! Are they doing well so far?

As for LED lighting, I haven't read too much about them. I think there are some nice LEDs out there but I think there are also some LED strips that are pretty much useless, you should post a question in the lighting section on this site and one of the others who has used LEDs more extensively can help you.

I personally prefer T5 high output lights, the ones they sell as "grow lights" for hydroponics are usually pretty good and cheap.
Thanks a lot Napkins, ludwigia, shooted a new little stem. Do you think that it is normal? That's how it comes to the emersed form?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a question.
Does anybody uses any type of heaters: space heater or aquarium heater to keep the right temperature for the plants?

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Thanks a lot Napkins, ludwigia, shooted a new little stem. Do you think that it is normal? That's how it comes to the emersed form?
Ha, napkins :)

Yes, they need to grow new leaves and stems in the emersed form. The old parts that were grown underwater will not convert.

I have a question.
Does anybody uses any type of heaters: space heater or aquarium heater to keep the right temperature for the plants?
Not usually unless the temperature gets below about 60F, anything down to around there will be keep growing decently. I suppose you could use one of those lizard heat pads if the aquarium gets too cold, though I don't know much more about how they work or what kind of temperature control you could expect to get with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings! This thread has been so helpful and quite interesting! I'm new to this forum and emersed set ups in general and have a few questions I hope can be answered. I've heard you can dilute ferts into your mister to help moss grow better. Is there any truth to this? if so, how much should I dilute? Also, I heard the same method works with glutaraldehyde to prevent or help rid your set-up of any fungus, algae or similar problems. Is there any truth to this as well? if so, how much should be diluted?

I personally feel the metricide would be of no use if your set-up was properly excuted and possibly harm some plant species who may be sensitive to the chemical but if you had an existing problem, fungus or otherwise, it might be of use. As for the liquid fert I feel it could possibly help the moss but also possibly harm other plants aside from the moss who would not need such treatment, that is if the moss would even benefit from it in the first place.

I have metricide 14 @ 2.6% dilution and the basic flourish liquid fert.

I have used glutaral to great effect in my aquariums as an algaecide. Just wondering if its uses could be broadened to another aspect of this hobby.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would like to share my emersed setup.

I am using DIY lights 4 light 24" t8, 2 of them are 5000k and 2 are 6500k. Staying on for 12 hours.
For the soil I used organic potting soil.
It has been set up for about a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would like to share my emersed setup.

I am using DIY lights 4 light 24" t8, 2 of them are 5000k and 2 are 6500k. Staying on for 12 hours.
For the soil I used organic potting soil.
It has been set up for about a week.
Very nice setup. Have you seen any change er new leaves? If saw right you are using a heater which i think is not necessary!
Friendly Sotiris

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't see any changes yet.

I am using heater because at night temperature still drops to 27*F in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi to everyone,
i have to apologise that because of Zapin's perfect topic i am now addicted on emersed setup and through experimentations i hope to reach on a nice result! I made a channel on youtube because i would like to share everything with you guys! Check my first video with the plants i took for my setup and i will upload a new video every week! Like and subscribe if you like!

Thanks,

Sotiris

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is epic! I have an old exotera that's ventilated, used to care for Geckos and scorpions in there. Not at the same time. I wonder how well that would work. Man I'm excited to get my new plants now! Looks like I may set some to the side for later.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone just had a question to see if anyone here has done it before. would the transition between submerged and emersed happen more smoothly if a tank was done with a dirt bottom with a real small cap of sand or grave to keep the dirt in place and then plant like in an aquarium but only filling the tank enugh to cover the tallest plant and just let the water evaporate over time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
930 Posts
I know this is an old thread. Very interesting thread. Was wondering how you know without a meter if you have too much humidity?

Since the lid is not be on tightly animals could get in. Would having a screen on the front 2in. be okay?

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
dawntwister - too much humidity isn't usually a problem unless water is condensing onto the plant leaves inside and sitting there. As long as you aren't misting the tub and as long as the temperature doesn't wildly fluctuate (causing dew that doesn't evaporate) you shouldn't have too much humidity.

The real issue is when your water line is too high. Too closer to the surface of the soil and it doesn't let the plant roots and base breathe enough and promotes the growth of fungus which rots and kills the plants. Best to make sure the water line is at least 2 inches below the surface of the soil.

A screen would be a great idea. It will prevent critters getting in.

osmelvillarreal - don't know how I missed your question for so long, but to answer it I don't think adding a small cap would change the conversion time between emersed and submersed. That time is relatively fixed. The plant can only convert at a certain speed in normal air. If you wanted to speed up the process you could raise the temperature slightly to increase metabolism and growth and add more CO2. Only those 2 changes would have any measurable effect on the rate of growth.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks for the info Zapins. Now I know it is possible to do with an expensive mister.

I had put alternanthera mini planted in a pot in a 10g tank with plastic over the tank tight. There was plenty humidity. I think it probably died due lack of oxygen.

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Could have been, though you might also be right with your first suspicion of it being too wet/humid in there. A fully sealed tank can be too wet and promote fungus growth. Hard to say without good close up photos. You'll get it right with a bit of experimentation though!

On a 10 gallon tank I'd keep the lid open leaving a gap that runs the length of the tank about 1" wide. Wider than that and the tank dries out too much, less of a gap an you get a lot of condensation on the glass (which isn't necessarily bad, but you can't see anything inside).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviving the old thread! Thanks to Zapin and everyone for all the info. I would like to know of different ways of dealing with fungus that sometimes grows in the emersed setups and dry starts. I have tried h2o2, glutaraldehyde, pimafix, and even adding springtails but the fungus returns.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

181 - 200 of 202 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.